NIMCON 3 - Crystal Lake, Illinois

The IPMS/USA Lakes Region Scale Modelers Club is hosting their Third Northern Illinois Model Contest (NIMCON) on Saturday, July 12, 2014. The show will be held at McHenry County College (8900 US Hwy 14, Crystal Lake, Illinois 60012) and be open from 9am to 4pm.

All model categories in NIMCON will be judged consistent with Gold/Silver/Bronze "Chicago Rules" where awards are based solely on the level of achievement by the modeler; and not judged against the other models in the contest. The armor entries will be judged by the Armor Modeling and Preservation Society (AMPS) - Chicagoland chapter.

For more information about NIMCON 3 please check out the Lakes Region Scale Modelers webpage at http://www.lakesregionmodelers.com/NIMCON.html .

Is there an option to enter armor models in the IPMS contest? If one wants not to have their armor judge by the AMPS style.

RONBO

Ron.

Dave is correct. But let me clarify a bit more. Although, the armor models will be judged in an AMPS "style", the judging will NOT be judged by AMPS Rules. Ultimately, although we'll be following some very general AMPS philosophies, the fact is will be judging pretty close to basic "Chicago Rules": the judging style used previously by the NIMCON crew.

And... judging will NOT be limited to AMPS members, judges, etc. Judging will be open to all persons who would like to participate.

Hi, Patrick,

I really want to go to this show today. The car is loaded with models to enter, and the gas tank is filled. Departure planned for 8:00 a.m. Came the rain at 6:15 a.m. An inch in 20 minutes. Steady rain to heavy downpours with thunder thereafter. Flood warnings all over the Chicagoland area. The contest is 100 miles away. Severe thunderstorms are forecast for the entire day and evening. My yard looks like a lake.

Even as I type this, the National Weather Service is blasting a severe thunderstorm and flood warning on all channels with their irritating blaring and high volume mechanical voice for all of northeastern Illinois and into Indiana.

In my senior years I am getting more conservative with driving through a 200-mile long car wash (with no soap) if I do not have to. I don't need the anxiety of driving into conditions in areas I am not familiar with, especially with road construction, possible flooding closing roads and the resulting detours, and the general unpleasantness of the entire drive. My "sense of adventure" has become more sensible as I age.

Here's hoping that souls more brave than I made the trip to the contest so that it was not a washout for entrants and entries. Not to mention the vendors who lost potential customers on top of moving their products in the rain from vehicle to building and back again.

Sorry, guys. I was planning to be there. One entrant, one walk-through spouse, and six entries lost. Try again next year. I do want to come.

Ed

Sorry we missed you Ed. It was a really nice show. But, based upon the weather you guys got hit with down in the south suburbs, I don't blame you for choosing to be safe.

Hey THANKS for judging the armor category! I thought you guys did a super job and that Best Armor entry was incredible.

It was also good to see so many of the guys from IPMS Bong.

post-271-0-91425700-1405365369_thumb.jpg

Edited by MBrzezicki

Cheers Marc. Thanks for the kind words. It was nice to see you and a lot of the other local Chicago guys as well.