Tamiya Panzer Iv Ausf. D Progress

Mike Delano

I got bored today on my last day of vacation and decided to pull down the old Tamiya Panzer IV D kit from atop the closet. I figured it'd be a nice quick build. I was wrong. At the risk of sounding like a blasphemer, this kit has alot of problems.... I'll leave it at that (I won't say how I really feel about it). I guess I've just been spoiled with DML kits. Either way, I decided to scaveng from all of the extra unused Panzer IV parts included in the Geschutzwage IVb and the upgunned Panzer IV D kit (which is actually a review kit I'm finishing up). Either way, I decided to use the DML roadwheels. I would loved to have used the DML trucks as well, but didn't have enough in the spares box. Additionally, I'm replacing all of the OVE and spare track. Since I won't have DML inner sprocket halves or final drive housings, I'll have to somehow reconcile the difference in the offset of the Tamiya sprockets with the DML roadwheels and return rollers. This has turned out to be more of an experiment than anything else. Definitely a work (and a lot of work, at that) in progress...

DSC_2864.jpg

DSC_2866.jpg

DSC_2868.jpg

DSC_2869.jpg

DSC_2870.jpg

DSC_2871.jpg

DSC_2872.jpg

I think it looks great. Sorry you had to do the kit swapping. Looks like I'm in the same boat to built a IDF M4A1. I have AEF designs conversion but still need to BORROW parts from the Operation Cobra and Thunderbolt VII kits.

:smiley20:

Thanks for the words of encouragement all - because of the obvious issues with this old Tamiya kit, I'm not aiming for 100% accuracy (or even 90% at that). This thing has turned into more of an avenue for some creative license. I'm in the process now of cleaning everything up prior to priming. Another grip about this thing - the kit-supplied roadwheels are horrible. Glad I had enough left over from the DML kit to replace them.

I think i'll do the same project as you did, for my son as he keeps bugging me to buy him a tank to do, as I'm currently working two projects at the same time A-1E and a Hetzer. Any problems? I also have a DML pz IV D in the gone wrong box. :smiley20: Gotta see yours done.

• 3 weeks later...

Almost forgotten to metion, I believe there is one to many cleaning rods. The short barrels used only two rods, the one with the swabbing end and an extra. I spy two sets on yours.

Almost forgotten to metion, I believe there is one to many cleaning rods. The short barrels used only two rods, the one with the swabbing end and an extra. I spy two sets on yours.

Yeah, I realized that after I got done with the major assembly - I haven't worked on this thing in a few weeks, but since the photoes were first taken, I removed the extra rods from the rear deck. I need to get back on this thing, but I started a Republic Star Destroyer kit for NMD and have been working on that one since...