1/48 B-47 build....

ghodges

Finally, some major progress!

First of all, I had to remanufacture the landing light installations. I just was not satisfied with the way the first set looked (see above), and they were too small. So....

005-5.jpg

First, I cut out a larger area on each engine pod. Next, I cut two triangular pieces of soda can aluminum and rolled them over a paint brush handle to make them concave. These were glued into the forward part of each opening to make the light housing tops. Sheet plastic was then used to fill in the small rear walls. The pointed frontal areas running up between the engines were then formed with Apoxy Sculp.

I also learned how to make my own clear lenses! I punched out several discs of soda can aluminum to serve as the "sliver" backings. Those were stuck onto some tape to hold them in place and drops of gel superglue were then placed onto each one. You have to allow them to dry without using accelerator, as that will cause them to crack and fog. But, after a couple of applications, you can make very serviceable clear lenses! You can see one of them sitting in the housing on the left engine in the pic.

So, how to make the clear light covers? It turns out that the openings are so flat that a small triangular piece of clear packing tape will do the trick! You really can't see it, but there's actually one over the opening on the right engine in the pic! The real trick to doing this is getting the clear tape in place without ANY kind of dirt or fingerprint on the inside of the tape. By cutting a slightly oversize piece and handling it only on the excess outer edges, it can be burnished into place and the excess trimmed away.

The real advantage to all of this (hopefully) is that the lights and their covers can be added at the very end of the build, after most all of the painting and handling has occurred.

And finally....

012-1.jpg

The engines are on the beast! I used a combination of 5min epoxy and gel superglue to hang them in place. I'm sure there's still a LOT of filling and sanding that will be needed to blend them in. But, it feels good to see it finally all coming together. I'll post more pics after I get some sanding and priming done. Cheers!

GIL :smiley16:

Edited by ghodges

• 2 weeks later...

Slowly plodding through the fill, sand, prime, repeat phase.......Already gone through a can and a half of Tamiya aluminum!

silverprimerpic.jpg

But, slowly but surely getting there!

Edited by ghodges

Gil,

That is really coming together. Are you basically sticking with Alclad for the finish or Tamiya paints? Also, are you doing the white nuclear flash scheme or solid natural metal? So many questions...Inquiring minds want to know.

Jimmy Stewart would be proud.

Great job.

Bill

It will have the nuked white bottom. The basic starting point is Tamiya AS-12 Aluminum as a primer/basic silver. I decided to go "old school" and try out some Rub N'Buff silver for the NMF. I put some onto the rear part of the model this afternoon (kinda messy, similar to using the old SNJ silver powder, if you ever tried that), and I like what I see (so far). What will be interesting is to see how maskable it will be, as I do plan to use Alclad and some Metalizer for various panels.

I also worked on the main tires and wheels, assembling them and preparing them for painting.

A long time ago, I remember reading about people thinning R&B with something and spraying it! I think it was alcohol. 'Course, this was before all the other natural metal finishes that we have now. I think it was done on some of those old Pyro gun kits to achieve a "natural metal finish". Course, those weren't buffed to a high sheen, but they looked like metal.

Here's the beastie completely covered with the polish....

003-4.jpg

Hopefully you can see it has a slightly brighter sheen overall. I plan to use this as the base NMF and go from there; so it's essentially got the first color coat on it now! :smiley20:

Man, what a brilliant shine! I only wish it was just as easy for me. I finally got a decent coat on my F-86 in 1/72 scale and it took five attempts for a coat that isn't even shiny! Way to go!

I bow in the presence of a Master!

Hey Gil, I used Rub and Buff on the stabilizer of the F-104. I used MM Enamel Aluminium for the underlying base and the the R/B over it. I liked the way it looked when completed.

Keep up the great work.

Bill :smiley2:

With a model like this, it seems that EVERY step you take amounts to "something that has to be overcome". I finally got around to the canopy this evening....

First, it's yellowed just enough to make it unusable as is. Its outline was also vague, making trimming it to fit problematic, though I got a close fit in the end. However, in trial fits, it also "pinches" in the middle, being a bit flat sided in the center section. So, I mixed up some plaster of Paris and poured it into the canopy so I can make a new mold and vac a new, better copy.

This will also allow me to modify and reshape it to fit and look better. I'll get some pics of the new mold here once it's done in a couple of days.

Rosana Rosanadana was right! "If it's not one thing, it'sa something else"! :smiley13:

Gil, that is some seriously impressive work! Will you be finished by next year's Nationals? It would be awesome to see it in person!

Keep plugging away, you are an inspiration to all us slackers!

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, so it's been more than a couple of days....but it TIS the season at ye olde Post Office, and I'm working 6 days a week plus overtime, so I'v slacked off going to the bench as regularly.

So, after making the new "mold" using the kit canopy, I attempted to smash mold a new one; but failed 3-4 times and gave up on that. The additonal complication was that it was just slightly too big to fit on my Mattel vac machine. The solution: change from a closed canopy to an open option, cut the mold in two, and the longer section would just fit onto the machine!

010-2.jpg

The kit vac canopy was filled with plaster of Paris. Parts of this weren't up to the handling and broke away, so the lighter, clearer areas you see were re-enforced with liquid epoxy. I also used this opportunity to put some ribs across the bottom of the rear section to widen it at the base and help correct its slab sided shape. I also sanded the exterior a little to be sure it would give me a smooth copy. Although it's hard to see, each of the masters has a slightly smaller plastic sheet on the bottom, which raises the mold off of the platen just enough to allow the hot plastic to tuck under the edges slightly when sucked down. This gives a better edge and also makes for an easier guide to cutting the plastic from the mold. Both parts will still need some detailing before painting them.

I've also been doing some more painting, with hit and miss success. I masked off various panels on the spine, the ailerons, the elevons, and the rudder and painted them Alclad White Aluminum. Unfortunately, it was an almost exact match for the R&B finish! angry.gif So.....round two involved exactly the same thing, but this time I used Alclad Aluminum, with slightly better results.

001-4.jpg

It's pretty easy to see the difference on the spine and the ailerons, but tougher to see the panels on the engine nacelles.

Next up is to paint a few more varying panels, as well as the darkened engine rears. The last two main colors will be the flat white on the bottom (in a limited area, later scheme), as well as the flat black anti-glare panel.

Still going to try to get 'er done by the New Year! Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, New Year's day has come and gone, but the basic painting is done....

003-5.jpg

004-1.jpg

So many little things left to do, but I'm slogging along, despite the sporadic updates! questions, comments, and critiques still welcome, as always!

Edited by ghodges
  • Like 1

Clean and neat!? Hardly....There's lot's of touch ups! It'll NEVER withstand IPMS judging as there's too many little nicks, scratches, and dings. But, ya gotta admit I know the right angles to take the pics from! :smiley20:

Keep those pic's coming Gill.

A question for you. Are you painting the radome on the bottom or are you leaving it black with the metal color. I've seen it in a buff color to the rear. I don't have a lot of references in that regard though.

Anyway, the scheme looks great. Anti-flash looks great.

Bill