1/48 B-47 build....

ghodges

Gil, looking really good. Given a few more weeks, it may have made it to the CON - another Vac kit victorious! Next year, perhaps. I might even be there to 'swap punches' with my P4M!

R/

Robert

Astounding work, Gil! How will you display this monster when finished???

The B-47 will go in this case....

002.jpg

I'll need to add another shelf above the 1/48 P-3C and B-45 Tornado.......but as you can see there'll still be plenty of room left down the road for my B-17s, B-24s, the B-29 and the B-50 I eventually plan to build; not to mention all of the twin engined bombers and fighters and the occasional 1/32 project. I can even build my 1/350 pre-war Saratoga now that I have the room to display it! :D

GIL :smiley16:

Edited by ghodges
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, going to the Nats and vacation proved a bit of a "snag", but I have made more progress over the last week or so...

010.jpg

013.jpg

Views of the fuselage top side. The windows on the top of the nose proved troublesome to get blended in, and that held up joining the fuselage halves.

016.jpg

Tail view. The rear gun sponson is yet to be added.

021.jpg

Bottom view. I still need to trim up and even out some of the gear well edges, as well as add their interior structure.

001.jpg

005.jpg

Wings, pods, and engines have been primed. The bottom pic shows some of the initial scribing that's been done.

Most of the work now will concentrate on that long fuselage. It needs to have the wells built up and most of the basic scribing done before I can add tail planes. Only after that will I be able to add the wings and then the engines; as each of those items in order will determine the alignment of the next. Questions, comments, and critiques welcome, as always!

:smiley16:

I am always impressed with your skill with these vac-formed kits. You make it look so much like building an injection molded kit. Your seams are flawless. I can't wait to see more.

The shelves are about 30"X30". The PBY and the guppy Skyraider are 1/48, and the rest of the models on that shelf are 1/32! The 2 "smaller models" on the bottom are both actually 1/32, while the P-3C and B-45 are 1/48. The case itself is about 6' long by 6' high by about 3ft deep.

Edited by ghodges

Looking good, Gil! Keep up the good work!

Mark

Maybe a dumb quextion here: How do you keep those scribed lines so nice and perpendicular to the longitudinal axis, given the variety of sections, conical, compound curves, etc...especially the big ones that go all the way around the fuselage, nacelles and such? The main reason I'm hesitant to do a full vac kit is that they all seem to need this, but I need some sort of gouge on how to set it up for consistent results.

Edited by VonL

DYMO tape is the answer! You now, the old plastic strip stuff you put in an old label gun. It's thick enough to act as a guide, is self adhesive so it stays in place once you lay it on the line you want, and you can cut it into thinner strips which helps stretch your supply.

I use the UMM scriber, which can be pulled or pushed, as needed. It also can be used as a scraper, which was needed to add the "airfoil" along the aileron scribe line.

Scribing is tedious, and I'm currently facing a LOT of tedium on the big honking fuselage! :smiley29:

Got some minor, but important work done on the gear. I cut and added collars to the legs, then built the drag links and their actuators.

002-2.jpg

001-3.jpg

Next up is more detailing in the wells, then building the gear doors and their actuators.

• Like 1

Scribing is tedious, and I'm currently facing a LOT of tedium on the big honking fuselage! :smiley29:

Thanx - good stuff here. At the risk of adding to the tedium: How do you initially measure and apply accurate panel lines (scribing targets) to that smooth vac fuselage, before scribing? I.e., how much 'Kentucky windage' is needed, given a decent set of drawings? On models with raised panel lines, I usually use those as a guide.

I'm not too worried about accuracy of panel lines, as much as getting the initial lines exactly vertical and horizontal. I'll be using the scale drawings to help me place a few of the most important looking lines; especially any that can then be used as reference to scribe the rest. I will not worry about scribing every line seen on drawings or in pics, but merely try to get enough in place to look busy and somewhat "authentic".

As for tools, I have a set of dividers I can use to transfer any needed measurements and a mechanical pencil to draw marks and guidelines for scribing. Dymo tape and the UMM scriber tool gets most of the work done. I also have an old set of Trimaster metal templates for circles, squares, and hatches; and usually use a pointed tool (sewing needle in a handle, or the old scriber from the Mattel vac machine) since that sort of scriber negotiates the corners inside a template easier than a line scribing tool. Hope this helps!

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, yeah! That UMM-USA multi-tool is great! I recently picked up one of the smaller ones and have found it extremely useful, too. I still marvel at how the 'push' scriber works. I can do free hand push scribing by 'inching' the tip along, sort of a 'two steps forward, one step back' movement along the line makes a nice, fine line, which I can then followup with the 'pull' end of the tool if needed. And the scraping edge does much of the work I used to do with a #10 Exacto blade, thinning wing trailing edges or reshaping contours by scraping. You can even flip the larger tool on it's side and use the 'push' end as a chisel if needed. John V. @ UMM really has a winner there! I think everyone should have one, truly a 'what did I do before this' kind of tool.

BTW, The B-47 is looking great, Gil! Say, what are your thoughts on the markings?

R/

Robert

Edited by rbeach84

Slowly making a dent in things....

019.jpg

016-1.jpg

These pics showarrow-10x10.png cannon fairing on the tail as well as the scribing on the tail fin. Note that it took a lot more filler on the rightarrow-10x10.png side to fair in the cannon housing. Also note that when scribing in the rudder, it was also necessary to scrape the leading edge to create a deeper line and a semblance of the aerodynamic leading edge of the rudder. I still need to scribe in the trim tab and add some details to the cannon housing.

015.jpg

014-1.jpg

Nose pics that show the scribing for the air to air refueling door and the installation of the periscopic bomb sight and housing. The lesson here is: you never know what you'll need, so never throw anything away! The ball for the sight is the top of a plastic swizzle stick. Its cover is 1/2 of a 1/32 pilot's jet helmet!

002-3.jpg

Front nose well with piping and "stuff" added.

006-1.jpg

Rear gear bay with the same treatments. Neither is aimed at being accurate; just "busy".

011-1.jpg

Overall view of bottom showing some of the scribing as well as the opposite walls for the gear bays.

013-1.jpg

Upper view showing scribing

Seems the more I do, the more I see I need to do! But, that's the nature of these beasts! Hope to start work on the gear doors and actuators tomorrow! cheesy.gif