This apparently cannot be stated often enough -- as a non-profit we are severely limited in what we can earn from outside the society (non-members) without loosing that non-profit status - and we are audited annually by the IRS.

While we appreciate the suggestions, this is not something we take lightly as we have to deal with it a number of times each year.

We don't have a problem if we give it away, either to members or everyone.

Jim, I was simply mentioning alternatives when it came to the CD-ROM suggestion. Since the IRS imposes restrictions as a non-profit, then David's latest comment would solve that problem. My primary point is that we have no control over what is done with any of the material once it is published and released to the membership. As a result, DRM really isn't that much of a concern. Since much of the content of the old documents are text that can easily be copied and/or rewritten and presented as new material, does that then get us into the area of plagiarism? Sure does, but then you have to sue them to do anything about it. It's also a tricky area to prove...unless they copied and pasted large blocks of text verbatim. Then a cease and desist letter will stop'em in their tracks.

For those who don't know, consider a couple of recent articles I did for the Journal. The content...including photos...are my copyright. I can do whatever I want to, wherever I want to. What I can't do is duplicate the editing and layout because that copyright belongs to the IPMS/USA. The latest revision of copyright law by Congress has turned us all into guardhouse lawyers. Heck, they even allowed the recopyrighting of certain classical music that has been in the public domain for decades. Now symphony orchestras can't use that music without paying a large royalty.

If anyone reading this has the feeling that we're sinking into a large quicksand bog...they're right.

Sincerely,

Richard