Ford Mustang expert needed

A potential client has asked about a model of a 1965 Ford Mustang. Right now all I need to know is what kits of the1965 Mustang have been produced in what scale and by which manufacturers. I know there have been a slew in 1/25, but I also need to know if the Mustang has been produced in larger scales as well...particularly 1/12 and possibly even 1/8.

Any assistance y'all can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Richard

There were 3 Mustang body styles in '65, the notchback (also known as a coupe), the fastback and the convertible. And then there was the '65 Shelby GT350, which was a lightly modified fastback. The '66 models are very close to the '65s, most notable differences are a bit of chrome trim in the side-coves and the color the engines were painted.

Monogram did a 1/24 fastback, convertible and several variations of the Shelby; they seem to have been in constant production since they came out in the mid 1980s. Not bad kits, and you can mix and match parts to make specific versions.

MPC/AMT did a 1/25 and 1/16 '66 notchback; these are pretty old (I remember seeing the 1/16 kit in a hobby store window around 1978); I've seen the 1/16 kit built up and out of the box its not super detailed.

Since 2014 is the 50th anniversary of the Mustang, these all seem to have been re-issued in the last year.

Revell did a 1/12 '65 Shelby (a fastback body), but I don't think I've ever seen one (I think this was before their merger with Monogram, so its probably not just an up-scaled version of the 1/24 kit). I think you'll need to go to ebay or the collector channels for this one (here is one on ebay now).

There were lots of options available on the Mustang; if you're building a replica of a particular car you should get as many references as you can.

I'm not an expert, but I've got a few books I can check if you have specific questions.

Don

Edited by Schmitz

Technically, I can help on engine options for the 1965 Mustang model year. I worked on small block 289 Ford V-8s ( two and four barrel carb versions) for years and spent my high school years ( in the 1960s) as a typical gear head hot rodding them. Some of my classmates had Mustangs and I guy I worked with after school had the K-Code 289 (High Performance 271 horsepower option) Fastback (2 plus 2). We had a great time cruising and street racing in those days. Best,

Mark