Modeling on the road; what you can & can't fly with

templarwd

I'm going to be out of town for training over the summer. I'll be gone for at least 6 weeks (possibly 8) and will be in desparate need of distractions. I've never really been away from my bench by myself (family vactions) for this long before. Right now I'm planning on just figures with oil & acrylic paints but I know I will get burned out doing nothing but figures.

Just wondering what I can & can't travel with. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :smiley14:

William,

It depends on what you mean by with? If you are putting bags in the cargo hold, you should be fine with anything! I would advise against aerosols period! If you plan on having only carry on, then it gets iffy. Definitely no knives (even though on several occasions my xacto has made it through the scan) and thinners and such would probably be a issue as well. When I travel, I always bring a small model kit in the event I have down time of any kind. Most kits give you enough room for knives, Xurons, files, sanding sticks/sheets, a sealed bottle of super glue, and Green Stuff. Again, I always check my bag so I do not have to worry about that.

Whatever you do, put liquids in separate plastic baggies, especially glue. Pressure differences can cause leaks and the bags will contain any that occur. They may be fine, but why take the risk with all your clothes far from home.

As a rule, you are prohibited from checking ANY paint and glues in your baggage. TSA considers paint to be restricted articles (regardless of flammability). As most glues and putties are flammable, corrosive and/or toxic, they are also banned from checked baggage. If during the inspection of your checked baggage the TSA agent discovers these item, they are instructed to confiscate them.

I hate to be the wet blanket, but I wouldn't want you to lose $$.

We have flown to Virginia every year for the last three years. Every time I put a unopened bottle of Zap along with the essential tools and have yet to have it confiscated. If you are worried, most locations have at least a hobby lobby/Michaels and a least hobby shop where you should be able to purchase anything you don't being!

Working for TSA I would say that unless you plan to work while in the air I'd check it all....There are limits on how much liquids you can carry on ie.. 3.4 oz containers that will fit in a 1 quart bag is the limit...that's paint, glue, and anything for your personnel grooming needs... For more on what you can and can't take I'd go to the TSA web sit TSA.gov. One other thing to remember the size of the airport has a lot to do with what gets by. A big airport dosen't have the time to look too deep into your carry on, were as a smaller like where I work will look at everything and has the time to dig. Good luck!

• Like 1