Not a good showing, but ....

it's all I've got.

Here's the Matchbox 1/76 Churchill AVRE SBG which did come ashore on D-Day, but I can't guarantee this particular one did. I'll note, by way of excusing flaws, that this was done in a 24-hour Blitzbau ....

mbx72_avre-sbg-97_done-lrfull.jpg

One the bench right now is Combrig's 1/700 RN Monitor HMS Roberts, which bombarded off Sword Beach. What you get is a barely in progress shot showing the model with some deck detail and 1st level structures, about to be painted, and the water base .... Also note the photo-etch, I bought it as Anchor Chain only to find it is Anchor Chain Links - I don't think that'll happen !

cbg700-roberts-11_progress.jpg

Very cool! I'm always amazed to see all of the Brit specialty tanks. They seemed to be much more on the ball, imaginative, and prepared than we were. And if you built that in just 24hrs, extra kudos to you!

GIL :smiley16:

Can you imagine some poor schmoh standing on the back of that thing with bullets flying all around while he wrestles with that hand cranked winch? Couldn't pay me enough.

Actually, I think I read when that kit came out that the winch was wrong. It was actually electric. Makes more sense.

No, the winch was hand-cranked, but only to raise the bridge. To lower it, the winch brake was released which got it most the way down, then an electrically-detonated blowplate was fired that severed the cable and dropped it the rest of the way. I did not portray the blowplate, but it went between the forward block and the scissors frame.

The best modeler's reference for the Funnies is "The Funnies" by Geoffrey W. Futter. I used it to also make a "Folding SBG" and will get around to doing some others.