2001 Space Pod

ewahl

• 5 weeks later...

Well, another month has gone by and there is some progress to show. I think I've spent more time on snow removal than I have on the project, though.

Detail work continues on the front and top surfaces of the pod. Compare these photos with the previous ones from last month and you will see the progress. Some of the bits on the front panels below the window are so small that I have trouble seeing them with my optivisor, let alone shaping them and glueing them into position. I've been deepening the front holes and adding center detail. The red HAL lens looks good in its recessed pocket. There are metal tube bits added to the top three recesses, to the conical camera mount, and front panels. I have only a few bits of surface details to add before I am ready for the primer coats of paint.

2001Pod45.jpg

2001Pod46.jpg

The crew figure is completed to the point of Floquil Figure Primer. Then whatever needs to be fixed will show up. The thumb of the right hand was cut almost through and bent forward so the hand will be better shaped for holding the Newspad (as Kubrick called it; an iPad for us today). I'm assembling that separately using the film photos of Bowman and Poole watching their BBC interview as a guide for shape and size. The front of the coveralls required two breast pockets and a loop on each shoulder. I carved off a rear pocket molded with the torso.

2001Pod47.jpg

2001Pod48.jpg

That's it for now. Comments are welcome.

Ed

• 1 year later...

After more than a year of life and other modeling interests getting in the way, I finally added some white primer to the pod body. The tiny details that looked rough when first applied are looking much better under the primer coat. Here are three views of just the pod and one more of it on the platform. There's still lots of work to be done to finish this project.

2001Pod55.jpg

2001Pod56.jpg

2001Pod57.jpg

2001Pod59.jpg

More to come soon.

Ed

I've been waiting for this project come to the forefront. You better bring it to the meeting. GIT ER DONE!!!

It looks great here and even better in the "flesh" (plastic?).

• 3 weeks later...

Finally, the astronaut figure is painted. This figure was cobbled together from a number of 1/35 scale armor figures. I suspect the main body is a former German soldier, and the arms came from a different figure. The head was flat for the helmet to be glued on, so I added the top of his head. I needed body parts that would result in a jumpsuit, so I carved off a rear pants pocket and added two breast pockets. The rolled up sleeves match a still photo from the film. I believe this guy is doing a preflight test prior to the launching of the Jupiter mission, so he's not Bowman or Poole. He looks like an EDWARDS to me. I used Floquil Figure Primer spray can stuff and then Windsor/Newton artists oils. Sorry about the lousy lighting; I was in a rush and didn't want to set up the photo studio. The Newspad he is holding was featured in the film shot 45 years ago (Kubrick was a visionary WAY ahead of the technology of the time). I had to scratchbuild it using photos as a guide for size and shape, complete with ten numbered buttons in a horizontal layout for data entry (the first 10-key calculators that could only perform the four basic mathematical functions were still being invented for the space program and were not commercially available until the early 1970s).

The two shoulder patches are tiny decal reproductions I made on my color copier and white decal paper. I had to reduce images from two inches diameter down to 1/8-th inch. I'm surprised they came out as well as they did.

2001Pod60.jpg

2001Pod61.jpg

2001Pod62.jpg

Comments are always welcome.

Ed