Tom Dacon, new member, Port Townsend, WA

tdacon

I just discovered this organization, from a mention in the recent Heritage of Flight newsletter. I have a deep and abiding interest in military history, particularly WW II aviation. My dad was a B-17 ground crew chief in England from early 1944 to the end of the war, with the 603rd of the 398th Bomb Group (Heavy). I'm one of what must be very few people who's had a B-17 named after him ("Little Tommy").

I did some model-making of ships and planes (badly) as a kid, but now that I'm retired I'm thinking of picking it up again, particularly with the aim of doing an accurate rendition of a B-17G in 398BG livery as a sort of homage to my dad.

I've attached a picture of Little Tommy, with my dad and his crew (he's the one in the middle of the picture).

Tom

post-2676-0-90986100-1400953125_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the Forums! How awesome is that having an aircraft named after you? Sweet! I'm looking forward to seeing some of your work, feel free to ask any questions and practice a lot. We have a great bunch of extremely helpful people here and don't worry about posting pics of something you feel is done "badly". I do it all the time! :wacko::smiley2: :D

Besides, showing your work helps others to assist you in improving your skills so that your father's homage will be a stunner.

Welcome once again!

Hey Tom,

Welcome aboard! Like Mark A. stated there is a IPMS club just down the street from you. I've been a member since the start and we meet twice a month. Good group of guys! The next get together is on 5 June....see the web site. Some of us gather at the pre-meeting dinner at the Chimicum Diner beforehand, 6pm.

Come join us if you care to get involved. BTW, our annual contest is scheduled for 28 June in Bremerton.

Mark

Welcome aboard Tom! That is quite an honor to have a B-17 named after you! I salute your dad and all the brave veterans this Memorial Day! I see a lot of them each week here in Central Texas and we treat them with the greatest of respect. Feel free to call for help anytime, as we share our knowledge, friendship, fun and skills with others. That's what IPMS is all about. Best,

Mark