MiG-killing Crusader

Navairfan

Here’s another one of my collection of US Navy MiG-killers, a 1/48 Hasegawa F-8E Crusader. The Hasegawa F-8 is by far the best kit in this scale, but it does have issues. There are bumps on top of the wings at the wingfold joint that need to be removed, and you can't drop the flaps without serious sanding of the inside pieces to get them to clear the fuselage. The cockpit is really basic, especially for a kit of this price, and needs at least an aftermarket seat to dress things up.

I tried to replicate a faded look by preshading with flat black over major panel lines, then lighlty applying the flat gull grey top color. I used the Aires cockpit and wheel well sets, and a Seamless Suckers intake – which had as many seems to fill as the kit intake. I also scratchbuilt a boarding ladder and steps, a standby compass, canopy restraint strap, and a few other cockpit details. The AIM-9B Sidewinders are from my spares box, and I used Quickboost afterburner scoops and pitot probe, and a few Eduard photoetched pieces. I finished it in the markings of ‘Nickel 103′, an F-8E from VF-211 when deployed aboard USS Hancock during an eventful Vietnam War cruise. Cmdr. Hal Marr piloted this jet when he shot down a MiG-17 on 12 June 1966, scoring the Crusader’s first kill of the Vietnam War.The decals are from an Eduard sheet of F-8 MiG-killers, though more accurate markings of this jet are available on the excellent Furball Designs sheet of F-8 MiG-killers. .

All the resin aftermarket parts somehow threw off the fit – I had to do LOTS of filling and sanding on the fuselage seams, especially in the bottom of the fuselage, and I had to reposition the right main gear slightly to correct a list to starboard. I usually don’t use more than an aftermarket seat or cockpit, but I traded for this kit and it came with all these extra resin accessories, but they wound up causing lots of construction problems so I wouldn’t use them all again. Still, it was an enjoyable build of an attractive and historic aircraft.

HallMarrsF-8Ep1_zps17dda577.jpg

HallMarrsF-8Ep3_zps5dcf5f34.jpg

HallMarrsF-8Ep2_zps166e3c57.jpg

HallMarrsF-8Ep4_zps58f56413.jpg

• Like 1

Very nice Drew! The F-8s bring back many memories as I saw many of them fly over our neighborhood in the late 1950s and early '60s from our house In Dallas. My dad worked for Chance Vought (LTV) from 1929 to 1971, and I started my career there back in 1969, and still saw a number of them at the Vought plant back from Vietnam for refurbishment. Excellent work! Best,

Mark

• Like 1

That is one sweet bird! I am duly impressed. I have a couple 1/72 scale models of this aircraft in my stash. Once I get things cleared off the bench, I think it's time to start one of these. Thanks for the inspiration!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...