IJN aircraft Color bands

Totenkopf

Hello everyone I have what is probably a simple question. What color were the fuselage bands for IJN Soryu aircraft? I see them in a single blue band all over but I found an excerpt from "Aircraft Carriers: A History of Carrier Aviation and Its Influence on World", which states the color for Soryu and Hiryu are black. I have also see it stated in other places that the band was a "Royal blue".

I think the blue looks better then a black band but is this done for aesthetic reasons or is it accurate?

Thank you for any help.

Although I have no references on the Soryu, I can state that in all my years of seeing Japanese models with fuselage bands (as well as tail bands) I've seen red, blue, and yellow, but I've NEVER seen one built or drawn with black bands. Not saying it's black wasn't used, just saying I've never seen a Zero, Kate, or Val referenced or built up that way. Hopefully, more knowledgeable people will be along shortly

GIL :smiley16:

• 2 months later...

I just joined and found your question. According to Revi's "Japanese WWII Aircraft in Colour (Volume 1)", Soryu aircraft were marked with a single medium blue band. The band doesn't wrap completely around the fuselage but rather ends at a panel line. I hope this helps if you haven't already figured it out.

• Like 1

In period 1941 - june 1942 Soryu and Hiryu were in 2nd Carrier Division.

Planes from Soryu had one blue band around tail, and Hiryu's planes two blue bands around tail.

Japanese sources shows the band not closed and finished on the lower fuselage panel lines, with "window"

for table with producer's serial number.

Letters code on the tail:

Soryu - red "BI - ",

Hiryu - red "BII - "

Sources:

"Japanese Naval Forces and Fighter Units in WWII" - I.Hata, Y.Izawa

"Japanese Naval Air Force Camouflage and Markings WW II" - Donald W.Thorpe

"Camouflage & Markings of the I.J.N.Fighters" - Model Art

Edited by PawelP