This is more "Stuck on the bench" Gallery Ch-34 Choctaw

WildBill50

Hello peoples,

I started this a little while ago and am now stuck waiting for a decal sheet to come out for it. I have built the "Marine" bird but have since decided to make it up as an "ARMY" version. I am building this for my neighbor who used to work on them in the late 50's. He was in the ARMY. I tried MPC to get their decal sheet for their ARMY version, but they don't have them to sell. I await aftermarket decals. No, I'm not that good at cutting stencils for all of the markings.

On with the build. This was a great kit, a complete cockpit (except collectives) and engine along with a nicely detailed cargo area with detail to the rear bulkhead. I cut out areas where photo-etch screens go around the nose and tail and tranmission. This really sets off the model. There are etched seat belts in the cockpit and on the seats in the cargo area. These look realy nice on the seats after painting them. You build up the cockpit first and then the engine. I added some hoses and wiring to the engine to make it pop alittle more. After it is put in the nose of the chopper you can hardly see any of the wiring. I know it's there. Building up the inner core interior first and then attaching it to the fuselage halves goes smoothly. I used very little putty on the bottom of the helicopter. The fit was great all around. I painted the interior Dark Gull Grey with international orange seat backs and olive drab seats. The seat belts were painted up camouflage grey with aluminum fittings. A brown oil wash was put on to highlight the interior. Outside, I used Olive Drab over black panel lined areas. I built up the color slowly and when finished I added some Yellow Chromate to the Olive Drab and painted the centers of some of the panels. I think it cam out pretty good. I am now stuck waiting to put on the fiddley bits and decals. A few detail painting areas and we will call the one done,,,someday.

Questions, comments, funny stories all welcome.

Thanks for looking.

CIMG1346_zps9e713d44.jpg

CIMG1343_zps9167061c.jpg

CIMG1344_zps04fdd0a3.jpg

HelocopterNOLA153_zps07388a84.jpg

HelocopterNOLA151_zpse80e0fd6.jpg

HelocopterNOLA150_zps684ef330.jpg

CIMG1483_zpsc044ce04.jpg

CIMG1478_zps5ee78d5f.jpg

HelocopterNOLA155_zpsea953aee.jpg

Looks great. Just reviewing the USAF one for the IPMS Reviewer Corps.

Do the kits have several markings (mine has USAF and German)? If the one you want does, you might want to post around asking for anyone not using the marking you are interested in..just a thought

Dave

• 8 months later...

I have the sheet of decals. I got them through my local Hobby Town owner, Steve. It took him some time also but came through in the clutch.

Finished pictures of the languishing build soon...I hope.

Bill