Latest Progress From The Duke

Mark Deliduka

These are two of my 'big box' projects; one armor and one aircraft, so I can get the big boxes out of my stash and into the trash! Feel free to check out my Armor 'Big Box' project in the Armor Forum.

Meanwhile, on to the pics......

This is the Trumpeter Tu-16 Badger in 1/72 scale, and I have the main cockpit module on, the tail surfaces on, and everything is sanded down. In these pics, the wings and the engine nacelles are only dry-fit. I want to make sure that there's no other sanding/filling necessary before I add them to the fuselage:

WIP%20Tu16%20Badger%20V.JPG

WIP%20Tu16%20Badger%20VI.JPG

WIP%20Tu16%20Badger%20VII.JPG

You an see that I taped the turret guns down to hopefully keep them from breaking off. Also, I threw an Exacto knife in the one pic to show you how big this puppy is.

Well, that's about all the progress I've made for today on this and a couple of other projects. Feel free to check out my latest progress on the Armor Forum.

Thanks for looking and comments are welcome.

GREAT!!!!!!!!!! REVIEW????????

You would like me to review this? Okay, I guess I can, but I've already started it. Maybe I can drum something up.

Thanks for the compliment.

Looking good so far Mark. I have the same problem with big box kits. I would love to build the Monogram WWII bombers but I just don"t have the room. Working on the Airfix 1/48 Lightning and I have to put the box elsewhere and pull the parts out as needed. Someday when one of the kids moves out I'll have a model room. Till then its smaller projects. Keep it up.

Chris

Thanks Chris. As it is, I'll be having a hard time getting this one hung on the ceiling when it is done since I already have about 50+ models up there already. Oh well. I still want to get it done. I'll be starting a few small-box kits soon too. If I get three or five done, that's a bog-box amount of space opened up as well.

Attaboy Dukinator! Lookin good.

Hey all, more progress to report.

Awhile ago I started an RF-4C Phantom II in 1/72 scale. It was an 'anniversary' jet from the Luftwaffe, and needed to be painted all white. Well, the white paint I sprayed on it gummed up and messed up the model bad. So I decided to strip it with an Easy Off oven cleaner knockoff. Well, I ended up leaving the stuff on too long. I found out what happens when you have Easy Off oven cleaner knockoff on your model for too long:

WIP%20RF-4%20Phantom%20VIIIb.JPG

I decided to try and spread some liquid cement over it to try and 'melt' it all back together as best I could. I'll then go see how well that worked, and regardless of how it works out; I figure a coat of Mr. Surfacer over it will smooth things out. One thing I won't do is try and re-scribe this beast. I don't do well and the panel lines on this are too complicated. If I can get it smooth enough again, I'll move on.

Man, what a Beast this is turning out to be! This is inexcusable.

Anyway, the glue technique worked okay, so I followed up with a couple of coats of Mr. Surfacer 500. Well, fortunately the Mr. Surfacer worked. This now looks and feels smooth as a baby's bottom:

WIP%20RF-4%20Phantom%20VIIIc.JPG

WIP%20RF-4%20Phantom%20VIIId.JPG

The white spot on the wing in the top pic is the filler I used to fill in a hole made by the Easy Off. Now all I need to do is get a few new cans of White. I'll need them for this and the Badger.

Meanwhile, speaking of Badger, I got the glass and crew access panels on it (except for the glass bubbles on the tail), and I cemented on the engine nacelles. After that, I added the tail control surfaces/flaps. Next up is the wings and then I paint this bad boy before adding the wheels and struts and all the other detail parts.

Here she is:

WIP%20Tu16%20Badger%20VIII.JPG

WIP%20Tu16%20Badger%20IX.JPG

The wings here are just dry-fit now. Note the blue "invasion stripes" holding the engine nacelles on..... :P :8:

That about covers it so far. I also got some work done on my Armor models which is shown in the Armor Thread.

Thanks for looking, comments are welcome.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it's been awhile, but I finally got some things done. At least some things done enough to take pics and post.

You all have seen the posts of my issues with the Hasegawa RF-4 Phantom a couple posts up showing it cracking like it did. Finally, after copious amounts of Mr. Surfacer 500 and elbow grease; I have managed to get my RF-4 Phantom II to the decals stage. Thanks to a tip from a fellow LEMur about Wal-Mart's 96 cent spraypaints, here it is sporting it's new white coat:

WIP%20RF-4%20Phantom%20IX.JPG

WIP%20RF-4%20Phantom%20X.JPG

I am so glad I am getting some progress done on this. I'll be adding a clearcoat to protect the white and then I'm going to decal it and then seal them. After that, I'll be adding all the landing gear, landing gear doors and all other accessories to finish it off. *Whew!*

Well, since I had the white paint out, I figured I'd better go ahead and paint my Tu-16 Badger underside as well. Here it is with all the white sprayed over it:

WIP%20Tu16%20Badger%20X.JPG

Now while those two white planes were drying, I went ahead and made some progress on my various armor models I've alsao been building. Feel free to check out the Armor Forums to see what I've been working on over there.

Thanks Glenn. Alot of people have said that. I just have this funny quirk that if I start a model, I have to find a way to complete it. It's even quirkier that I just hate throwing out a model.

Decals should be on this soon. Pic will be forthcoming.

Okay people, gather 'round for another update! I've got three planes in the running today to show.

This first pic is a pic of my Tu-16 Badger all painted and ready for clearcoat:

WIP%20Tu16%20Badger%20XI.JPG

Oh, and while I was at it painting the grey on the Badger, I figured I'd finally paint the grey on a 1/48th scale F-102 Delta Dagger I've been building for a friend. Here it is, all clearcoated as well and ready for decals:

WIP%20F102%20a.JPG

WIP%20F102%20b.JPG

And last but not least, I have decaled the RF-4 Phantom. At least I decaled what I could that is. Here is what I mean:

WIP%20RF-4%20Phantom%20XI.JPG

WIP%20RF-4%20Phantom%20XII.JPG

WIP%20RF-4%20Phantom%20XIII.JPG

Now the reason I didn't get to finish the decaling, is because the opposite wingtips, tail, and side of the vertical stabilizer are all yellow with wide red stripes through them. On the decal sheet, I find the red stripes. I look at the instruction sheet and I have to PAINT the wingtips and tail YELLOW!! :shock: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Oh well. These decals are on, and the remainder of the funky big owl on the bottom will be put on the landing gear doors when they get installed on the plane. Other than that, I just have to paint the black nose, exhaust nozzles and the steel/metallic areas on the tail and this puppy is done! I've already clearcoated over the decals I've put on so that any further handling will not cause harm.

Well, that is about all I have for now. Feel free to also check out my progress on my Armor models in the Armor Forum. Thanks for looking and comments are welcome.

Mark,

- Cool update pics. I have loved those markings on the RF-4 for a few years now. I can't remember where I got it, but I have a Revell-Germany 1/32 Phantom with those markings/decals. Not sure if I'll use them on that old tooled RF or see if they'll fit on a new tooling. Keep up the interesting work on these kits. Model on Dukinator.

Thanks Ken. I hope to have more done on this soon. Now that the surfacing issue is taken care of this is moving along rapidly.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I finally got enough progress done to update this post. Here are my pics of my latest progress. I'll start with my Trumpeter Tu-16 Badger. I finally got this one up on her pins. All that is left is adding the stinger in the tail and then detailing it out with all the fiddly antenna bits and bobs.

Here she is:

WIP%20Tu16%20Badger%20XII.JPG

WIP%20Tu16%20Badger%20XIII.JPG

She's a bit dirty but nothing a little water and soft cloth won't clean up.

Next I got the final decals on the RF-4 Phantom. All that is left are the decals on the wheel doors and the wing tanks. I'm hoping to get them all on today.

WIP%20RF-4%20Phantom%20XIV.JPG

WIP%20RF-4%20Phantom%20XV.JPG

And now for two pother models that I just started today. These are two simple models I picked up in San Diego.

This next one is a simple little kit that I got from Phillip's Hobbies "Trunk of Shame" It's the PM Models 1/72 scale Horten Ho229.

WIP%20Horten%20Ho229%20I.JPG

WIP%20Horten%20Ho229%20II.JPG

I've always liked this little flying wing, and some research I did indicate that one did fly. Hey, the price was right, and so here it is.

Oh, one more model is this model of the Mi-1 "Halo"(?) that I picked up also from the "Trunk of Shame". Interesting semi-transparent plastic, but then Gran always seems to use it. Here it is:

WIP%20Mi%201%20Halo%20I.JPG

You can see where the Mi-8 came from looking at this model.

Well, that finally brings me to the end of this building session. Feel free to check out my Armor thread in the Armor Forums showing my latest work there too. I doubt I'll get anything more done before I leave for Florida, so thanks all for looking and comments are welcome.