before or after putting on extra pieces

Zglossip

i was just wondering on your guys opinion is it better to paint extra parts for tanks [ shovels , picks , axes , wheels , etc ] before or after you put them on i used to do it after so my paint would hide and spilled glue or messed up parts .

I paint them separately. They look more, well, separate. If they are suppose to be the same color as the vehicle, I actually paint them a slightly different tint, lighter or darker. Paint looks different on different surfaces, metal, wood, canvas, whatever. Use a final dull/gloss coat to hid any glue problems.

Edited by Ron Bell

I agree with Ron, if you can paint them off the vehicle then by all mean do it. Much easier and less chance of having touch up on the vehicle. Having said that I do trend to paint in place a lot as I use a lot of PE tie down and hold down clamps that really do not allow me to paint off the vehicle. So bottom line if you can paint off the vehicle do it, if not take your time and go slow.

Chris :Smile_sceptic:

I paint mine on the vehicle. I'm careful, however, not to use too much glue in attaching it so that, when I paint the tools later, I can slip a piece of post-it note paper between the tool and the model to keep the paint where it should be and not bleed onto the model.

It's one of those "it depends" situations. If you can attach it after doing so, by all means paint first. But for the situations where you can't, attach first and try to paint it afterwards.