Don Gentile's Spitfire, "Buckeye Don"

ghodges

Before Don Gentile became a famous 4thFG ace flying his Mustang "Shrangri-La", he was a member of the American volunteer Eagle Squadron. His first a/c was this MkV Spitfire, which he called "Buckeye Don", since he was an Ohio Boy. He got 2 Fw-190 kills in this plane. I built this one for the British Invasion group build, and in-progress pics of it can be found down in that topic.

006-17.jpg

009-13.jpg

008-12.jpg

011-11.jpg

001-26.jpg

This is the Tamiya 1/48 MkV kit, and goes together great! The fit and detail is very good OOTB, and all I added were some pe belts/harnesses for the seat. I did switch out the prop for an early blunt Rotol spinner, as that wasn't included in this boxing. The decals are from Aeromaster, and except for the fin flash on the fin (which had to replaced from the spares box) and some fracturing of the bottom roundels over the scoops and lumps in their positions that required some touch up painting; they went on generally well. I used MM British colors, except for the yellow; which is Floquil BNSF yellow.

This was a fun build, quite relaxing and enjoyable compared to the last 2 or 3 I tackled. If you're looking for a relatively quick build with no vices and no real need to spend money on aftermarket, I recommend the Tamya Spitfire!

Questions, comments, and critiques welcome as always! Cheers!

GIL :smiley16:

Edited by ghodges
  • Like 1

You certainly did service to one of Don Gentile's mounts, Gil! Great work! All the best,

Mark