Gator Glue

Gator Glue works wonders for the attachment of clear parts and also P.E. parts. I've been working on a B-29 (the old Monogram kit) and G.G. worked quickly to "stick" the two nose glazing pieces in place. It even fills the gap around the canopy and then dries clear.

Love this stuff!

Gator Glue works wonders for the attachment of clear parts and also P.E. parts. I've been working on a B-29 (the old Monogram kit) and G.G. worked quickly to "stick" the two nose glazing pieces in place. It even fills the gap around the canopy and then dries clear.

Love this stuff!

Where did you get it?

Chris

Great stuff -- I used it in my review of the Griffon PE for the sfh18 - yes, I stopped the review out of frustration but I wouldn't have gotten as far as I did if I hadn't been using gator's Glue ...

One advantage with PE is that it holds well, but if you bump a part it tends not to break off & fly away as with a CA join -- a bit of flexibility is retained. It is also great if you have a lot of parts to put together and you need max time to wiggle them around.

Have got a small bottle of the stuff from Lowe's, but never used it in a visible spot. Will it yellow on the clear parts?

CAREFULl!!!

The "Gator Grip Hobby Glue" that we are discussing is NOT available at Lowes, it can only be obtained from Kenny at http://www.gatorsmask.com/

I've got some approached two+ years...no change from its original clear appearance.

• 4 weeks later...

Adding to Pyman's comment.... I use Gator Glue exclusively when attaching canopies. It even tends to fill in the small seams around the glazing.

If you are going to the R6 Convention in Little Rock in Oct I believe that Gator will be vending there. I'm sure he'll have some of the sticky stuff....

I used Gator on my Heller bireme build as seen in this months gallery. I used it on the main sail and shields. The main sail was workable for 10-15 minuets and dry overnight. Works great for all my PE too.

Here are some tips I posted at modelwarships.com

Tips

Keep a small bowl or bottle of warm water near by. After applying to your part place the brush in the water to keep it clean.

If you leave the glue open for a few minuets just drop a little water in the bottle to keep it thinned.

The Gator applicator works very good for small parts just keep it cleaned out with water between applications.

For parts that tend to fall over (like long runs of ship rails) you may want to use a drop of CA on the ends to help hold it in place while the Gator sets up. Gator will take about 10 minuets or so before it will hold on it's own.

Full dry about 8 hours, but you can work with the part within 30 minuets to an hour depending to temp.

You can sand and paint after 30 minuets.

Excess can be removed with a little water on a clean brush or Q-Tip (no sanding required then)

It's great for filling seams as well, acts like Elmers white glue but with CA holding power and can be cleaned up with a damp Q-Tip before fully dry.

After dry it will stay hard like CA.

Hope this helps.

• 4 months later...
And as a side note, one of IPMS own Reviewer Corps members, Ken Loup, is the owner of gator Glue- pretty cool huh?

Dave

I've done some tweaking to the formula and now it drys with a matte finish. :smiley20:

• 4 years later...

Just got my first bottle of it since I'm installing a huge amount of photoetch in a 1/350 Polar Lights Refit Enterprise with all the bells and whistles (including lighting) for a client. The stuff is just as good as everyone says it is. You need to

be aware of a couple of things. First...as Kenny states on his website...the correct name is Gator's Grip. This is probably the result of the stuff sold at Lowe's. Secondly, he now has a thinner version...called Thin Blend...that is even better

for photoetch. Considering that Thin Blend is just about as thick as original Elmer's, it should still fill small gaps such as the two piece B-29 canopy.

Finally...and of some importance to your wallet...a single bottle of the stuff in $5. However, you have to send him your zip code by email so he can tell you how much the shipping is. I'm in Fort Worth, Texas and the shipping...by priority...was $5.80, making the total price $10.80. Notice that I'm not complaining. It's a fantastic product and I'll pay the price gladly. I mention it so you can avoid the sticker shock reaction.

Richard

• Like 1

Guest PetrolGator

This stuff is GREAT. Some of the PE work I did over the weekend required a lot of adjustment when placed to get right. Kenny's glue gave me the pre-set tack that I needed to adjust the etch and set once I stopped messing with it.

• Like 1