Need some advice...

Wulf

I don't make it over here often but need some suggestions. I will be doing my first dio of a sunken Zero and was wondering what you all recommend to use for the sand/silt of the ocean floor?

Thanks!

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

How about real sand/silt? I have been out to some places where it is real fine and would look fantastic on such a diorama. Otherwise, you may find something from Woodland Scenics at a Railroad online or brick-and-mortar shop.

Woodland Scenics sand would work, but real sand/silt would be better. If you have a PetSmart near you, take a look at the sand in their aquarium section. Another option would be Pumice, Rottenstone or Rubbing Powder. That stuff is extremely fine and would be great for silt. You can find it at paint stores, Home Depot, Lowe's or similar places.

What scale are we talking about? In 1/72 any real sand will look like larger rocks. In 32nd craft sand found in craft stores where they make candles would look ok.

Unless the setting is right by a beach, remember most sea bed is mud, not sand. For "small scale mud", I get some dirt from the back yard and dry it in the oven. Then crush it to break up the clumps. Next run it through a tea strainer to eliminate the pebbles and other debris. I then use a section of old pantyhose as an even finer sieve. You wind up with a very fine dust. I'd apply this over a base of smooth plaster. First give the plaster a coat of white glue and let it thoroughly dry. This seals the plaster and keeps it from sucking all the water out of the next step and helps with adhesion. Mix the dust with water and a little white glue (helps against shrinking) and brush it on like paint. Keep it pretty damp so it's easy to smooth, then let it dry. It may take a few days to really dry. If you get cracking, just fill in with a little more of the dust mixture. You can paint the finished product any shade you want.

• 2 weeks later...

This one was done by Gavin Anderson about 7 years ago. It is 1/32nd and knowing Gavin, probably used regular sand, sifted to get a fine grit.

P4264462.JPG