King Tiger Build

MM1TB

I am making a Sd. Kfz. 182 Dragon kit #6208. I have ordered zimmerit, and gum barrel.

What I want to do is make it for winter, what I need is advice on winterizing it. Such as what should be the base paint and what I should use for the white. Also I would like to put a little snow on it so what is the best material to use and how to make it stick.

Thanks in advance.

Tim

Tim,

You need to do some research on the vehicle you are going to build. By this I mean markings/camo. They will determain what campain you are in and what time period/front. Once you know this it will tell you what the camo was. Most German tanks kept thier base camo and painted a white wash over it in winter. This could be easily removed by washing it off in the spring. Also your research will tell you what camo the vehicle had, i.e. ambush pattern. there tone green.brown, yellow etc. Since you will be modeling a King tiger the base color would be dark yellow. On top of this was applied the camo patterns in the feild, then in winter a white wash over that. All depends on the vehicle. time frame. front . unit. etc. Research, research, research.

Chris :Smile_sceptic:

Not a king tiger but this might help you some with the whitewash finish. http://forum.ipmsusa3.org/index.php?/topic/12305-muddy-stug-iii-ausf-g/

Chris has some good points. KTs are one of those popular vehicles that has been pretty well researched so there should be some info on camo and markings. If it has zimm, then it would have a base coat of yellow. Camo was applied over this and then the white wash. Most pre-mixed "dark yellows" are too dark and/or too yellow. There is research to suggest there are several versions of this color but all are more Buff than yellow.

The link above didn't pop up results for me. But I think Mark is suggesting search for "snow" here: http://www.network54.com/Forum/78970/. It's been talked about a lot in the diorama section.

Edited by BryanKrueger