Cutting Edge masks

BobHolmes

I have read someplace about those masks. Since grandson and I are always on the lookout for "best" methods for doing things, and more importantly those that require the least skill, these Cutting Edge things look like our kind of deal. I googled it but without luck. Anyone here have any idea where these things come from and how you might get them? Of course cost might be an issue for us, but we are interested anyhow. Thanks for any info.

Hi Bob:

Cutting Edge was from Meteor Productions who is long out of business. Their masks were vinyl and Ok.

If you are looking for masks that are currently available, can I suggest Eduard masks. Here's a link from Sprue Brothers:

https://store.spruebrothers.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=eduard+masks&Submit=Search

They are tape and pretty nice. I find them especially useful for the complicated greenhouse canopies like TBM's to BF110's.

Another company EX Masks makes them also:

http://www.ezmasks.com/

Dave

Hi Bob:

Cutting Edge was from Meteor Productions who is long out of business. Their masks were vinyl and Ok.

If you are looking for masks that are currently available, can I suggest Eduard masks. Here's a link from Sprue Brothers:

https://store.spruebrothers.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=eduard+masks&Submit=Search

They are tape and pretty nice. I find them especially useful for the complicated greenhouse canopies like TBM's to BF110's.

Another company EX Masks makes them also:

http://www.ezmasks.com/

Dave

Dave, thank you very much for your response. We have bought ourselves a Spitfire (Tamiya) to work on next and the instructions show how the camouflage is supposed to be. I have to say - we don't do that very well. Years ago I did OK with an airbrush, but with a brush or spray can or both, it has become much more difficult. And then we noticed that Cutting Edge had that kind of mask (previously), that got our interest. I figure from now on we will try to work on models that are single color ones. I guess we'll just have to tough it on this one. Thank you for your answers, the links, and your patience with us.

Robert: if I may make a couple of suggestions to help short of getting specific camo masks for the Spitfire. I just did this this week.....

002-35.jpg

The method I used was "old skool".....I laid large pieces of tape across an area I wanted to mask off, looked at the instructions for guidance, and then drew that camo pattern on the tape as best I could replicate. Next, I took the tape off the model and laid it on a hard surface (glass) and cut the pattern out, and then reapplied it onto the model, adjusting as needed. It's tedious, and it took about and hour and a half to then do 5-10 minutes of airbrushing!

If you have the ability to scan and enlarge the instructions, and can figure out how much to enlarge them to get them to very close to 1/48, then you can lay low tack tape onto the instruction drawings and cut the patterns out and apply to the model. As long as your enlargement is close to the right size, you should easily be able to replicate the patterns in tape from the kit instructions.

FYI- the Brits generally used rubber mats to mask off the real planes when painting, so hard edge camo or a VERY tight "soft" camo line (which can be done by putting thread just under the edge of your masks to raise the edges 1/32") is appropriate for factory schemes. Some schemes were reapplied in the field, or modified and show regular soft edges. If you're truly concerned, consult references before painting! Hope this helps!

GIL :smiley16:

Edited by ghodges

I could only dream about our model looking as good as yours does. I don't have a scanner as you mentioned, so maybe I can just draw some on tape. You mention low tack tape. Can you tell me what that would be? That laying thread under tape sounds really cool. But my hands have begun to shake pretty badly that we may not be able to handle that. Thank you for your ideas, Gil. You guys really know some stuff. Thank you again for your time and your ideas.

Low tack masking tape can be had at hardware stores and even the paint aisle at Wal-Mart. Not as sticky as regular making tape, more like postit note glue. Green Frog brand has a low tack tape (yellow in color) that looks a lot like the pricey Tamiya tape.

Don

Besides the Green Frog tape Don mentioned, there's a yellow painters tape made by Sherwin Williams (available at their stores) and 3m "Blue" masking tape is available most all hardware stores and departments. If you have an art store or drafting supplies store, "drafting tape" is a low tack manilla masking tape. Yellow Tamiya tape IS the best overall, if you can get it, despite its cost! Hope this helps!

By the way, the only reason we "know" stuff is because we've been where you are now, and asked the same questions, learning just as you are. There's certainly nothing "special" about it. It's simply a matter of experience.

GIL :smiley16:

Thank you Gil and others. Afraid we don't have any of the art type stores you talk about. We do have an Office Depot but they don't carry the things y'all refer to. Closest would be San Antonio or Austin. That's why Squadron and I have become such good friends again after 40+ years. Anyhow, thank you for your time. My concern is that when I try to do this camouflage thing as per the instructions, I might pull the paint off that we first put on. We will try what you have suggested. I keep remembering way back when I had and used an airbrush when a bunch of these things weren't such an issue (unless I am forgetting (completely possible)).