Best paint color for guns

rraps68

New guy with simple question. Starting with Tamiya kits. Somewhat beginner proof. As such I use their recommended paints. However the gun metal and Grey metallic colors called for on machine guns and such are too not right. ...very metallic and seem too silvery. What are better colors for such simple applications?

Ken,

I always use Tamiya "Gun Metal" paint on my MG's. Try giving them a wash after you paint them, that will tone it down. You will be pleased with the results.

Chris :Smile_sceptic:

Not trying to muddy the waters as I understand that you are asking as a beginner modeler. First you need a little information in regards to the weapon. By this I mean that there are different types of finishes that are applied to the real deal to basically protect the metal from rusting.

Two of the most common finishes found on military are blued and parkerized. To replicate blued finishes you could mix equal parts dark blue and black as it is a very dark color. As some have suggested black would work as well and then use graphite rubbed in with your finger. Parkerized finishes are a little bit more complicated. The reason is they can range from almost black to a grayish green. The grayish green can be replicated using a dark gray with a green wash.

Examples:

M1 Garand = Parkerized metal

M1 Carbine = Parkerized metal

K98 = Blued

Mosin Nagant = Blued

Type 38, 99 = Blued

M1911 = Parkerized

I hope this helps and I hope that it did not make it more confusing.

Mike

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

What about the gunmetal made by Alclad. I've used it on a few projects and I'm impressed with the result. It replicates a blued finish.