A "general" models question

BobHolmes

As I had originally posted, my grandson (ten yrs old) and I (seventy-one) are getting into modeling WW2 aircraft. We don't have the skills or do near the job you guys here do, but we are having fun anyhow. Our first attempt was a Tamiya P-51B 1/48 scale, and even if I must say so myself, it turned out pretty well, although we are our only two critics. :smiley14: My question though, in your opinions, is, what brands would be the "best" for us as far as pieces fitting, accuracy, etc? That Tamiya kit was really good although we did have a couple of issues gluing stuff together, but I strongly suspect that was us and not the Tamiya guys. We are pretty much limited to 1/48 because from what I have seen, anything bigger than that is just too danged expensive for us. Back forty-five plus years ago when I built my first models, I can remember that some of those kits had parts that you would swear weren't even for that model. Putty and a lot of glue was my friend. We'd like to stay away from those, but they may not be around anymore anyway. Anyhow, we are looking for advice. Thank you for any you are willing to give.

Robert- Glad you and your grandson are having fun together. Model building is a great thing to pass down. I am sure that he will look back on those hours when he is older and remember the time fondly.

Frankly, by picking up a Tamiya model, you pretty much hit the cream of the crop. For fit and accuracy, Tamiya is generally the standard by which the rest of the manufactures are judged. In point of fact, a lot of models say that all you have to do with a Tamiya kit is throw the paint and glue in the box and give it a good shake and out pops a great model. Now that is a gross exaggeration, but it says a lot about Tamiya. Tamiya kits do sell at a bit of a premium, but they are in most modelers opinion, worth the extra cost.

Keep at it and enjoy the time with your grandkids.

Edited by PeteJ

Robert- Glad you and your grandson are having fun together. Model building is a great thing to pass down. I am sure that he will look back on those hours when he is older and remember the time fondly.

Frankly, by picking up a Tamiya model, you pretty much hit the cream of the crop. For fit and accuracy, Tamiya is generally the standard by which the rest of the manufactures are judged. In point of fact, a lot of models say that all you have to do with a Tamiya kit is throw the paint and glue in the box and give it a good shake and out pops a great model. Now that is a gross exaggeration, but it says a lot about Tamiya. Tamiya kits do sell at a bit of a premium, but they are in most modelers opinion, worth the extra cost.

Keep at it and enjoy the time with your grandkids.

Thanks very much for your response (quick). Yeah, afraid I have two kinds of cancer now and so he may have to start remembering quicker than we both would like and start these on his own. I am figuring we will kinda stick with Tamiya as you have recommended. It seems to be in our price range and they seem to have the models we are interested in, and except for our missteps ours did go together well. Thank you again for your recommendation.

Revell makes alot more aircraft selection but alot of times there models peices dont fit together well i agree with petej tamiya are some of the best models you to can by very detailed and you dont have to get frustrated when the peices dont fit right.