Help with curling decals

burner12

I'm working on a Hasegawa 1/48 Phantom that'll be in Sundowners paint scheme. For the decals I'm using Furballs Bravo MiG Killers Pt 2. The problem I have is there isn't any decal in between each sun Ray. So when I put it on I can see the rays curling over and ruining it. I've thought about cutting it but when I do I always cut it in a way that you can see the slit on the finished product. Also while adding the insignia I found out these decals really don't like to move once on the model. Ive left them in the water until they started to peel off the paper. They still were tough to move. I haven't used MicroSet very much but also dont want those small white spots after I gloss coat it.

I've always wanted to build this one and don't want to ruin it. Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by burner12

I'm experiencing a similar problem on a Spitfire. The decals are old and a test on one of the decals not to be applied ended with the decal shattering into 10 or 15 little fragments. I coated the decal sheet with a "Decal" solution that is supposed to prevent tearing or shattering, and that worked properly. It's called Liquid Decal Film by Microscale, I applied 4 thin coats to the decal sheet over about 3 hours, letting each coat dry before the next application.

Some of the decals are now curling up while others are working properly. I've decided to cease application of these decals and replace them with a different set from a decal manufacturer, that is if I can find replacements. Bummer.

And fyi, I prepped the model with a few thin coats of Future, airbrushed on without any incident or problem, so the decals had a clean and smooth surface waiting for them.

How long between your last coat of Future and the application of decals? Lots of different opinions out there, wondered what you do.

At least a day. It'll dry to the touch within a couple of hours, but since you're going to wet it and (probably) use solvent, it needs to "cure" completely to lessen the chance of it blushing (turning white). However, any time I've experienced the blushing, another coat of Future made it go away.

GIL :smiley16:

Two reasons I've had decals curl are:

1. They're old. I can think of a couple of reasons why this matters, but it doesn't matter. Don't use old decals if you can avoid it.

2. Interaction with the solvent. Some decals just don't like some solvents. I've had decal sets that I applied with the accepted system of gloss, m-set, m-sol, gloss, finish and they look like crap. The same decals applied with just water and a damp cloth press down turned out great.

Best advice is test an un-needed decal with your solutions and see what happens and try one with just water and a damp press down.

Amen Brudda! My recent experience with old decals on a Spitfire taught me to test an unneeded decal from the decal sheet before gluing the first parts together. It's just part of knowing where you want to end up before taking the first step.

Almost every project I undertake, if decals are going to be needed, is driven by the availability of high quality and new decals! No matter how much I would like to do a particular scheme or model, I will not even begin until I have good decals in hand. Waiting until you are ready to apply the decals to make these decisions is going to lead to a lot of frustration. Even then, if possible, I always like to have a "plan B" which will permit the use of alternate markings by a different manufacturer if my first choice decals don't work out. To me, the secret to good modeling is to always be in a position to be able to fix a mistake. Nick Filippone

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

​Hi Guys ( Newbie Here )

​Decal question(s)

I just bought Spitfire Model. Now if I see that the decals are old in the box. Where can I buy decals that fit the design of my plane ?

Thanks Guys

There are many online retailers, like Squadron.com, that carry aftermarket decals. Just visit the online retailers site, and type in the specific scale and version of the model and results will appear. Be careful since decals for one mark of the Spitfire may not be proper for another mark. Decals are often very specific as to what version plane they go on.