5 day Stearman

ghodges

Bought the new Revell 1/48 PT-17 Stearman last Saturday and decided to hop on it and get it built by my club meeting yesterday. Finished it Friday night, and even took Tuesday off!

015-5.jpg

014-8.jpg

019-4.jpg

Building the one color Navy scheme helped of course! It was built OOTB except for the addition of seat belts and harnesses. The yellow is MM Chrome yellow over Tamiya white primer, the prop is Alclad Chrome over some MM gloss black enamel, and the kit decals were used, except for the civil "N" number. Rigging was done with 6mil ceramic Wonder Wire.

This model lends itself to a quick build due to its simplified (but seemingly complete) interior, its great fit, superior engineering with both the cabanes and landing gear struts molded as part of each fuselage half, and the engine being a separate sub-assembly that can be added at the end. Even repositioning the tail planes and rudder was a breeze. All it needed was some deep scribing in the hinge lines and then they could be simply bent to their new positions!

One thing not mentioned in most reviews is that there are "accessories" for the firewall and the rear of the engine that can be left out (as I did) unless you plan to leave off one of the forward side panels. Even the tubular engine mount is not needed, as the back plate on the engine rear will suffice to attach it all to the forward fuselage!

This is a great new kit and it costs much less than $20! Get a couple and toss your old Lindberg Stearmans!

GIL :smiley16:

• Like 1

Gil,

Boy, that's a real beauty! Thanks for sharing.

Looking forward to seeing you, and hopefully it, in Hampton.

TAKE CARE,

Way to go Gil! I love Stearmans! Best,

Mark

Outstanding work, Gil! Looks like I'm going to have to replace my ancient Lindberg Stearman with this kit.

• 3 weeks later...

Might have to get one of these. Had a ride in one to an airshow back in the 70's. Best ride ever...until it started raining on the way back to the home airport. Nothing like silk scarves, leather helmets and goggles to make you feel like a true aviator. Anyway that one was painted in the blue/yellow army scheme. That's how I'd do mine.

On another note, while we were at the show a Stearman landed on top of a Cessna 172 and just missed cutting the wing tank open by about 2 inches. The Steaman pilot was injured and both planes wrecked. I thought it was my buddy who flew us there that was involved until I saw our plane moved into a different spot on the flightline.

Great job again Gil.

Bill

A real nice build. Sounds like a great model to get back into gluing my fingers...... uh.. building again! :smiley16: