1/48 Fairey Firefly Mk 1

Dreamsof51

Finished this one in between review models. This is the Fairey Firefly from Grand Phoenix products. I built this one right from the box mainly because everything is already in the box! This model included some great resin details including a full cockpit that looked awesome once painted up. The finish is Tamiya colors airbrushed over pre shading. The only weak point was the wheels were a little soft in detail but look Ok once they were done. The gear doors were spot on against some photos I took of the real thing at Edwards AFB open house a few years ago. Decals were a real pleasure to work and laid right down with setting solution. This model took over a year because I painted and fitted the cockpit parts then moved on to other projects for a while. Its finished in the colors of 826 Squadron HMCS Magnificent 1950. This was going to be a contest model but did not make it to the last OrangeCon. Since this would be my first contest model, comments in that regard very welcome.

DSC_5777.jpg

DSC_5773.jpg

DSC_5775.jpg

Nice job and a not-so-common kit!

Thanks for sharing!

You chose a short-run injection kit for your first contest model? That takes some intestinal fortitude and some bow-legged walking! The results more than justify your choice as it looks beautiful!

As to "contest" stuff....and just going on your pics......your glass framing looks sharp and I see no evidence of decal silvering. I also like your exhaust stains. They're there, yet subtle. The only question that comes to mind is what appears to be a touch-up spot on the left tail plane. Is that your touch-up, your copying a real touch-up spot on the real plane, or a trick of light in the pics?

Excellent work, and thanks for sharing!

GIL :smiley16:

You chose a short-run injection kit for your first contest model? That takes some intestinal fortitude and some bow-legged walking! The results more than justify your choice as it looks beautiful!

As to "contest" stuff....and just going on your pics......your glass framing looks sharp and I see no evidence of decal silvering. I also like your exhaust stains. They're there, yet subtle. The only question that comes to mind is what appears to be a touch-up spot on the left tail plane. Is that your touch-up, your copying a real touch-up spot on the real plane, or a trick of light in the pics?

Excellent work, and thanks for sharing!

GIL :smiley16:

I shot the colors over white primer and preshaded all the panel lines. Then lightly sanded the whole thing to fade it a bit. The patches are touch ups like you see on real naval aircraft. These aircraft were glossy but I did not want that for scale effect reasons, I shot the picture in bright sunlight so a lot of the effect is lost. I have to shoot some review model photos for the 1/72 F1A Trumpy Lightning I just finished, so I'll try to capture this a bit better and post it on the member gallery. I'm encouraged by your comments regarding contest level finish. Its hard to be objective about you own work. This was also the first time I ever dipped clear parts in future, believe it or not. Thanks for the feedback.

Chris

It looks good, Chris! Man can those Brits design some interesting airframes, LOL.

Glenn

The later marks were a lot easier on the eye.

WOW,

Nice looking build.

Nice / interesting subject.

Nice pictures.

Thanks SteveK