'Close Contat' Street Scene Diorama (WIP)

tiking

I have come a long way with this diorama and had not think to post it here but thought it might be helpful to some others. So here goes:

Hello everyone. It's been a long time and a new year. :) Thought you might like to see what I have been up to. I wanted to put a building together from scratch and wanted to test out using materials I have never used before. But I understand this method has been used many times before and still in use today. So nothing new here.

I do hope the pics I put will tell the story much clearer than me typing lots of fancy words. This is no way comparable to any of the dioramas here on Armorama that I have seen, so this build might just be boring to most. But it is a build that I have enjoyed doing so far because the method is new to me.

This time I am working on a 1/35 diorama which I am going to call; 'Close Contact' . Focus is going to be on figures( not that good. Still a beginner) and a pickup truck on the street in Iraq. As you may see, I have already started and well underway but there is much left to do. So join me for those who are interested in military subject matters .

I decided to use pink form for the entire building facade . This is my first time working with pink form materials to build up a scene and I must say that I am pretty impressed with myself. I think it looks good but you can decide for yourselves.

I used a xto knife and a ruler and made careful incisions into the foam and then took a pencil and scribed it to make the bricks more defined, which I am quite satisfied with the results.

Pictures say a thousand words. You be the judge :

The pictures are as it is. So forgive me for the quality:

wip_close_contact001_zps86bb0b4a.jpg

wip_close_contact002_zpsb0b260c9.jpg

wip_close_contact003_zps5090b411.jpg

wip_close_contact004_zps3437f2e6.jpg

wip_close_contact005_zps83158e2f.jpg

wip_close_contact006_zpsf10ea057.jpg

wip_close_contact007_zps0b4fc20c.jpg

wip_close_contact008_zps0c5f63ba.jpg

wip_close_contact009_zps76188eb4.jpg

wip_close_contact010_zpse9ec5745.jpg

Here I have painted the pink form with a concrete color that I had mixed at a paint store. I must say that the colors did much to the outlook of the facade. It made the foam look like concrete. After the concrete paint was dried I went over the form with a black wash which amazingly brought out the details and made the concrete even more believable. My not look like from your point of view. But I am happy eith the look.

wip_close_contact012_zps97bb51f0.jpg

wip_close_contact013_zps6a76a9f5.jpg

wip_close_contact014_zps6f9889b3.jpg

wip_close_contact015_zps88ec2aa1.jpg

wip_close_contact016_zps7a8020ae.jpg

wip_close_contact017_zpsdffba187.jpg

wip_close_contact018_zpsa24b67c8.jpg

wip_close_contact019_zps0ab19ed0.jpg

wip_close_contact020_zps29a30bf0.jpg

wip_close_contact021_zps6243dc1b.jpg

The roll-down doors are made ​​of styrene. The I-beams is the one that I have on both sides of the doors to support it. The thick bar is the one I have at the bottom of the gate. Hope I was clear on that? Hard to explain in a good way. ;) The whole idea is to get an overall look that will look believable.

wave_plaststruct_zps32949a92.jpg

t-beam_single_balk_zps134e569d.jpg

This is an interesting technique which seems to be easy to master. I've done a little more work. More wash and painting done on the walls and painted one side a yellowish color..

wip_close_contact022_zps71e86d6f.jpg

wip_close_contact023_zps84cd28f7.jpg

wip_close_contact026_zps6591a37d.jpg

wip_close_contact027_zps315bb390.jpg

wip_close_contact028_zps7446f22c.jpg

wip_close_contact029_zpscdd5ea05.jpg

wip_close_contact030_zps977bc72b.jpg

wip_close_contact033_zpsaa277804.jpg

Guest PetrolGator

Yep. I have a ton of 1/700 scale U boats and am itching to try my hand at a diorama. The U boat pens were concrete fortresses and I well, can't get concrete to look real to save myself.

I've done a little more work. More wash and painting done on the walls. Added the tarmac roads, represented by using fine sand grain sand paper. Made holes for the drainage covers and Manholes. These are from Miniart. I then proceeded to paint the holes using a black color to give it depth. Then it was just a matter of fitting the covers over the holes. Making the holes were easy as the base is white form. Made cracks and small potholes which were easy. The cheap one. Added graffiti on the wall. Then I added real dust, real dirt, and earth pigments( from MIG) and mixed everything to blend it all in. on the roads.

wip_close_contact035_zpse3860fde.jpg

wip_close_contact036_zpsac2b8753.jpg

wip_close_contact037_zpsf1bf116e.jpg

wip_close_contact038_zpsca148dfd.jpg

wip_close_contact039_zps0853f4ec.jpg

wip_close_contact040_zpsc71d7f2a.jpg

wip_close_contact041_zps28007047.jpg

wip_close_contact042_zps84b195c4.jpg

wip_close_contact043_zpsf7faf637.jpg

wip_close_contact044_zpsbca2dd84.jpg

Don't worry about the lack of replies. You have had over 50 views in less than 5 days, so people are looking. I have been watching with interest. I am not a diorama builder, so this is basically a tutorial for me. I can't really comment on what I don't know but you are doing a fine job of showing off the details of the work. Thanks.

Edited by PeteJ

Did some work on the roof. I glued sand paper to the sides and the top of the form to represent Stucco. At the top edges I used wall paste and then used the tip of paint brush to stipple the paste which in returned produced the Stucco effect. At on of the roof corners I chipped out pieces to represent broken concrete, maybe during a mortar attack or just simply worn out concrete. Either way, it looked the part. Then I painted everything with a concrete paint. Then, I used a sponged to dap a yellow paint. Then I went over everything with black wash to give it a worn aged look. Again, sorry for the bad pics:

wip_close_contac_roof4_zpsc0c26f86.jpg

wip_close_contac_roof3_zps7c1883d5.jpg

wip_close_contac_roof2_zpsda529845.jpg

wip_close_contac_roof_zps6b02c531.jpg

wip_close_contac_roof7_zpse4a1d460.jpg

wip_close_contac_roof6_zps93d385c6.jpg

wip_close_contac_roof5_zps01b9f0f2.jpg

Charles - Like Pete I have been watching and learning from your posts. I have been wanting to do a Diorama of 2 German WW-2 Bridge Layers fording a stream. The sticking point for me has always been finding just the right Bridge Supports from the after market that would fit into what I wanted to do. I have never found exactly what I need, but this technique you are using would allow me to make my own Bridge parts exactly as I need them. Great Build and I hope to see a lot more.

Hi Dennis. Thanks for the comment. This material has been used many times for almost any typs of structure. So a bridge would not be an exception. In fact there is a video of a model roader builder using this to build a fantastic brick bridge . I will post the link for you later.

• 2 months later...
Did my first try at scratch building a satellite Dish. Nothing fancy or over complicated. I decided that I want the roof to be removable. So I added tooth-picks at the top of the lower wall. Then I will be able to push the roof directly on top of the lower piece, thus holding it in place without the need for gluing. Scratch built bracket supports for signs and what-nots, signs, air-conditioner...Detailed the broken tile on the sidewalk. Iraqi sign.Some weathering done to the inside cab of the driver side of the pickup. Added some wiring to give the impression that the air-conditioner is functional, so to speak.

Now, the look may not be 100% prototypical but it is the overall look I am looking for, especially when I am on a budget and do not have much to spend on commercial accessories. So for you nit-pickers, you can hold back your cries. :)

satilite_dish_zpsf962b333.jpg

collection_of_accessories_zps38e609cb.jp

---------------------------

iraq_airways_sign_zps380af305.jpg

concrete_tile_sidewalk_zpsfd97abf9.jpg

air_conditioner2_zpsff228fd6.jpg

air_conditioner_zps341fd4e8.jpg

I already started on the figures. Took about 2 hours just trying to file up on all seams and get everything perfect on these two figures. These will be the insurgents. I have about four more of the US soldiers to do. - at least try to. Please keep in mind that figure painting is my weakest point.

These are the figures I am using. Right now I'm forced to start over with the USMC figures because I was not entirely happy with the result:

wip_close_contact_box_sets_zps03b19ffa.j

--------------------------

wip_close_contac_insurgents7_zps11dac456

wip_close_contac_insurgents5_zps91625352

wip_close_contac_insurgents6_zps500cebf7

wip_close_contac_insurgents4_zps68a011a9

pickup_half_weathered_zpsb4a4c2a8.jpg