1/48 F4u-1a Corsair

ghodges

Just finished this one today. It's the 1/48 Tamiya F4U-1A Corsair, which I built just to get something done while still hacking away at a couple of other long term projects on the bench.

100_1834.jpg

100_1831.jpg

It's primarily OOTB, with a little added just for fun. I used an old set of Waldron belt buckels, stringing them onto a set of tape belts. Tedious! There's a reason pe belts/buckles are so popular! I also wired the engine (for the first time in a long time); which came out well, but didn't add as much in the way of enhancement as I'd hoped. Guess it'll be a while before I do it in 1/48 again.....

100_1842.jpg

Paints used were Floquil Reefer White on the bottom, Model Master Intermediate Blue and MM Dark Sea Blue, with a LOT of post-shading to get the panel variations. I also did some VERY light wet sanding on the final finish before glossing and decaling. Kit decals were used and they went down very well. The prop markings are dry transfers by Archer. Sure wish he'd do more aircraft stuff!! I added a lot of chipping using a sharpened silver colored pencil.

100_1849.jpg

100_1848.jpg

Substituted a white metal Brewster bomb rack from the spares for the kit item (less clunky). Added retraction springs and brake lines to the gear legs. Used MV lights (set LS502) for the IFF lights and added a punched piece of foil under the kit landing light lens. I also canted the tail wheel for that more "candid" look. Exhaust staining was done with pastel powders.

All in all it was a typical shake-n-bake model with easy assembly, allowing me to concentrate on the weathered SW Pacific finish. As always, question, comments, and critiques are welcome! Cheers!

GIL :smiley16:

The 2 long term projects mentioned above are an old 1/48 Aurora Halberstadt CLII, that I'm making halting progress on. It's about 3/4 assembled and a month out from completion. The other one is the CollectAire 1/32 resin T-28 Trojan. I managed to boil some dehedral into the main wing, which is half the battle in tackling this beast! That means I can actually start working on this one now, with a projected finish date of May15th; just in time for the R-11 Regional in Orlando! That is (of course) if the good Lord allows, the creek don't rise.......thanks for all of the kind words guys!

Yep! Tailhook was taken off most land based Corsairs. The one thing I didn't like about this kit is that they only give you the later tall tail wheel. I'd have used the earlier shorter one if I could. It sits much more "leveL' than my other Corsairs, and I even looked to be sure I seated the thing all the way down in the model properly!