IPMS / Motor City Kids now official

bob

IPMS / Motor City Kids is now an IPMS chapter in Region IV. We were formerly known as the Nankin Kids Club, but we now have a new name that shows we are a junior chapter and most will gather that we're from the southeast Michigan area. We have a few adult instructors/advisers and about 25 regular junior members. Unlike most IPMS clubs that meet once or twice per month, we meet every Saturday morning for 2 hours. We run our meetings October thru March. Starting this Summer, we'll try to meet once a month (April-Sept), for a whole day of model building. Please feel free to check out our new website www.ipmsmotorcitykids.com ,and see what we're all about. Even though we're new to IPMS, we've had this club for 7 years now and have introduced more than 300 kids to the hobby. Some try it out and may not stay with it, but for others, they find they can't live without it. Both Nankin Hobby and IPMS / Livonia have been big supporters of our club and we can't thank them enough. If anyone would like more info on starting a junior/kids club, I'd be more than happy to share information with you. All it takes is a few adults and a little time and commitment. Believe me - it's well worth it !! Seeing these kids build and paint takes you right back to when you were a kid. It's the best thing I've ever done with my spare time.

Bob Blevins (#41445)

What a great way to get younger modelers involved. Great job to all the guys involved.

Incidently, our contest in Kalamazoo is scheduled for Sept 27. It might be a good road trip for the group. You said that they get started in October. I'm sure that they would love to see their models recognized as well as seeing a well stocked vendor room. Looking forward to seeing you guys at the Regionals in Warren.

I'm sure some of the kids will definitely be there. They're getting ready now for the Regional in Warren. Some are even thinking the Nats in Virginia. I have lots of families interested in Columbus next year. We'll even have club shirts so the kids can show their "colors". I'm going to have the kids decide the actual club colors at the next meeting. My wife had the idea of incorporating tire treads in our logo. Dang, she's good.