Spruemeister builds a floaty thingy! Sorta.

Spruemeister

A neutrally buoyant thingy. At times anyway.

This is the Riich Models 1/200 USS Gato SS-212 from 1942. It is a really nice kit, with good detail and pretty nice fit. The kit is also available as the 1944 refit Gato with the reworked tower and cut down shear plating. I liked this version because it is the way most early Gato class boats went to war right after Pearl Harbor. God Bless the men who go to war in submarines. It would have been about last on my list.

The kit has a few options, but mostly they don't work so well. You can choose between photoetch railings, or make your own from stretched sprue. I opted to torture myself with the etch parts which are super fine and very delicate. The bow planes, stern planes, and rudder are all designed to be moving pieces but I don't think its possible to glue them without permanizing their location, so I gave up. I guess I've moved on from the time when I wanted to play with my models anyway. You have a choice between the 3" and the 4" deck gun. As the 3" was original equipment I went with that, and promptly messed it up. It too, is supposed to elevate and traverse, but that feature went away in a hurry as I managed to glue it solid and slightly askew in its cradle. This is what happens when you give an airplane guy a ship kit. And a 1/200 3" naval gun with (wait for it...) 19 SEPARATE PIECES! The 4" has 2.
The color scheme for this is Measure 9. Black. Everywhere, black. The whole model is base coated with Tamiya NATO Black. I then airbrushed some random vertical lines of a 50% NATO black and 50% German Gray mix. I used gray and rust pastel chalks to further weather the hull in the areas where the limber holes flowed water out. The kit has two anchors, but I learned that the Gatos only had one. The Government yard built boats had one on the starboard, and Electric Boat built them with one on the port. So I filled the port well with Milliput. The open torpedo outer shutters on the center bow tubes can be build closed, but I elected to leave them open and show the torpedos (not yet installed in the pictures). I searched for a long time before I finally found an animated GIF online to show how the shutters and the tube doors are arranged and how they open. After I had glued the shutters on in the wrong manner. The kit has photoetched tube doors but with the shutters cut down and thinned for installation, there's no room for the tube doors. Bummer. Its the one thing I would do different if I ever build another one. The aft tubes are molded open, but they have no tubes showing. I layed down for a nap and the urge to modify them went away. The props are injection molded and are a little heavy in blade thickness. They would look better thinned. There is a nice photoetch name plate which I haven't installed on the base yet. I sprayed the supports with Alclad Gun Blue, then very thinly oversprayed them with Alclad Copper for a bit of a different look. This kit also comes with a 1/200 OS2U Kingfisher airplane which I haven't built yet because I can't really draw much of a connection between the two subjects. Maybe the lifeguard missions picking up downed pilots. It's nice, but looks like a lot of work and I need to move on to other kits.

And now the proof. And yes, I can hear the comments already:

catdarkside_zpsf99287d6.jpg

Bring it.

gato1_zps3576314c.jpg

gato2_zps699df819.jpg

gato3_zpsfd0ede43.jpg

gato4_zpscfa9e8e3.jpg

gato5_zps5243a238.jpg

gato6_zpsee6a6be0.jpg

gato7_zps27055ce8.jpg

gato8_zps7f505213.jpg

gato9_zps82fd22fc.jpg

I enjoyed building this. I know the scale is a bit odd, but it will make a nice companion to my 1/200 Arizona whenever I get around to building it. At 19" its a substantial addition to the display shelf, and not as much of a hog as the 1/144 or 1/72 kits.

Rick L.

Just watched "Torpedo Run" last night. Great models of Gato's in there. Yours looks better, great job. What colors did you use for the hull. I like the variation in color.

Bill