IPMS-USA Founder Jim Sage has Passed Away

SkyKing

In response to an inquiry from Mary Jane Kinney, I did some research and very quickly found this on-line obituary (at http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/dallasmorningnews/obituary.aspx?pid=163258579)

"Sage, James H. James H. Sage, 84, of Dallas, passed away on February 16, 2013 in a nursing home in Knox City, Texas. James was born September 4, 1928 in Kalamazoo, Michigan; the son of Howard & Bonnie Sage. He moved to Dallas in 1951 where he was employed by Southwestern Life Insurance Company. He married Peggye Bright in the early 1950s. James enjoyed traveling & spending time with his church friends & others. He also wrote a small paper called Durango Drive News, with his friend Old Bear. James is preceded in death by his wife and brother Richard Sage. He is survived by his sisters Mary Popejoy, Penny Lamb, Pam Doherty & Hester Dulla; and a brother Howard Sage. Funeral services will be held at 2pm on Wednesday, February 27, 2013, at the Hughes Crown Hill Funeral Home. Interment will follow at Calvary Hill Cemetery."

I'm pretty certain this is our Jim; I know he worked for Southwestern Life Insurance Company, his wife's name was Peggy, and they lived on Durango Drive in Dallas. I first met Jim in 1967 after joining IPMS, and I spent a night on their sofa once after Braniff cancelled my return flight back to home in Wichita Falls, and woke up the following morning to find one of their cats sleeping on my chest!

It was Jim who was responsible for the "International" in IPMS, when he began promoting the British Plastic Modelers Society by placing announcements in kits that he imported in the early 1960s. As interest grew, Jim became the first Executive Director of IPMS-USA, running the US branch from his house in Dallas. He actually was the first member of IPMS-USA, but forgot to give himself a membership number! Accordingly, he was named Member #0 by IPMS-USA a few years ago.

I have no idea how long he was in the nursing home, but what's really sad is that I moved back to Texas and the Dallas area in 2005, and Knox City is not so far away that I and others could not have gone to visit him had we known where he was. But he and Peggye had no children, so there was no immediate family to keep us informed as to his health or whereabouts.

Edited by SkyKing

Guest PetrolGator

I'm very grateful for the society he founded. I've learned a lot and met some very good friends. I hope he knows how much of an impact he had on many lives. May he rest in peace.

I first met Jim in 1967 when he helped us form IPMS/NorDel . Next we worked together drafting the IPMS/USA C&BLs, then on the first EB, Jim was a joy to work with during those early IPMS times.

Jim's efforts established IPMS/USA's guiding principles we follow today. Jim was both our society's founder and inspiration.

Jim was one of those rare individuals you meet, work with, and then admire and deeply appreciate the rest of your life. Jim will be sorely missed by those of us that knew him.

• Like 1

To paraphrase Will Rogers, Jim never met a modeler he didn't like. We should create a national contest award in his memory.

This is good to know. I never met him, but I am thrilled with the organization he founded. I have enjoyed the company of so many friends from all over through this organization and I offer my condolences to his family. May God welcome him into His Kingdom and may he rest in peace.

Sad news, indeed. I got to know Jim when I was 2nd VP, and always made time to talk with him. He never turned down any of my requests.

When I consider how many strong egos we have in IPMS/USA, Jim stood out as one of the most humble, genuine people I've ever met.

He was truly overwhelmed at the growth of IPMS/USA, particularly the number and the extraordinary quality of entries at the National Contests.

He always deflected the attention and the accolades, but there was a "proud papa" type of sparkle in his eyes when we discussed the past

and ideas for the future of the Society.

We didn't become real close friends, but every chance to sit and talk with him is a treasured memory.
Rest in peace, Jim. You will be missed by everyone in IPMS/USA.

• 2 weeks later...

Sad news indeed. Thanks Michael, for passing the word. I missed it on this forum and just got your note on the WW I models forum. I loved in the Detroit area in the '60s and the IPMS group there took their turn sending out the IPMS UK magazine along with the IPMS/USA newsletter. As I remember, we also had a type of "Nationals" there. He certainly started a great activity.

I cannot put into words what these icons have meant to us! I met Jim at the 2000 IPMS Nationals in Dallas where I was a member of IPMS North Central Texas, He established IPMS/USA there and it was an honor to meet him! With Arlo Schroeder passing last December 17th, it's difficult to accept the fact that these great men have passed from the scene. My sincere condolences to his family.

Mark