EARLY PEEK AT UPCOMING STAR TREK VOYAGER PROJECT!

papasmurf

Commencing in a few weeks, my latest version of the USS VOYAGER Star Ship, from the "Star Trek:Voyager" series. This will utilize the Monogram 20 inch Voyager kit, and a whole bunch of electronic "Goodies"! This project features some new upgrades since the 2007 version was completed las year. A dual Photon Torpedo "Launch" light effect circuit will be added and be independently activated, in addition to the standard forward Tubes, above the Sensor Dish. Also, Outer Space Outfitters 3D "Interior Scene" rear illuminated inserts will be added to all Primary "Windows", to give the effect of "Looking into actual Rooms and Laboratories" for the viewer. A new Navigation and Strobe light circuit from "Space Circuits", and a custom-made Display Case and Clear Cover that encases the entire display, with a forward projecting "Control Panel" to activate the various effects. The Display Presentation Base and Cover, shown below, was made by my friend Glenn Buckner, at Last Pacific Creations. Notice that the "Sail Shaped" Support Rod Cover was exactly matched to the shape of the Secondary Hull of the Voyager!

I'll be posting updates on this project for fellow IPMS members, right here!

vy9_7_-395x287.jpg

vy9_3_-392x287.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a look at the CCFL arrangement of the Voyager's primary intenal lighting for Engines, forward Sensor array, and

primary and secondary Hull. This has evolved into the "standard" layout for all Voyager builds. Do note that this does not include the 120 or more LEDS that augment this builds interior and exterior lighting. The CCFL's are all powered by tiny DC Inverters that have an output of 12 Volts, and care must be taken to create heat dissipators, as these do tend to get warm.

The Voyager build draws ever closer, as I am very near completion of the current U Boat project, for my Australian client.

voyvr5_1_-439x265.jpg

VOYAGER?

Yeach, Phooie..............

Booooooooooooooooooo ...............

Commencing in a few weeks, my latest version of the USS VOYAGER Star Ship, from the "Star Trek:Voyager" series. This will utilize the Monogram 20 inch Voyager kit, and a whole bunch of electronic "Goodies"! This project features some new upgrades since the 2007 version was completed las year. A dual Photon Torpedo "Launch" light effect circuit will be added and be independently activated, in addition to the standard forward Tubes, above the Sensor Dish. Also, Outer Space Outfitters 3D "Interior Scene" rear illuminated inserts will be added to all Primary "Windows", to give the effect of "Looking into actual Rooms and Laboratories" for the viewer. A new Navigation and Strobe light circuit from "Space Circuits", and a custom-made Display Case and Clear Cover that encases the entire display, with a forward projecting "Control Panel" to activate the various effects. The Display Presentation Base and Cover, shown below, was made by my friend Glenn Buckner, at Last Pacific Creations. Notice that the "Sail Shaped" Support Rod Cover was exactly matched to the shape of the Secondary Hull of the Voyager!

I'll be posting updates on this project for fellow IPMS members, right here!

vy9_7_-395x287.jpg

vy9_3_-392x287.jpg

VOYAGER?

UhOh....we have a heckler in the audience........security! :smiley17:

Behave Garth.......bad Garth, naughty Garth....... <_<

VOYAGER?

Although I wasn't a big fan of the "Voyager" series either, I find that the Voyager (Intrepid Class). Star Ship, is a very bold and sleek design. As I get many orders for this build, so others seem to agree as well!

voyvr5557-676x508.jpg

voyvr520-676x508.jpg

voyvr5_491_-504x394.jpg

voyvr5_541_-558x459.jpg

voyvr5_517_-290x226.jpg

voyvr5_530_-290x226.jpg

voyvr5_548_-592x450.jpg

Pretty model, but I agree with Garth; lousy show.

I was never a fan, saw 1 episode, and never watched it again, no argument here. The Ship is cool, the show stank, nuff' said! :smiley16:

And,

Let's not forget Seven of Nine guys. Those were the two highlights of the show, if you catch my drift ...

Whereas the VOYAGER looked sleek - I think my favorite ST ships were the refitted ENTERPRISE and ENTERPRISE-A and the ENTERPRISE-C and the RELIANT.

I was never a fan, saw 1 episode, and never watched it again, no argument here. The Ship is cool, the show stank, nuff' said! :smiley16:

Me? Bad? Never. Well, there was that one night in college, ... well, I won't go there. Top secret and all that.

UhOh....we have a heckler in the audience........security! :smiley17:

Behave Garth.......bad Garth, naughty Garth....... <_<

And,

Let's not forget Seven of Nine guys. Those were the two highlights of the show, if you catch my drift ...

Whereas the VOYAGER looked sleek - I think my favorite ST ships were the refitted ENTERPRISE and ENTERPRISE-A and the ENTERPRISE-C and the RELIANT.

She was definitely worth watching the show for, the rest of the cast used literally the same dialog from one show to the next. I didn't mind listening to Seven of Nine babble about flux capacitors.

So didn't I.................

She was definitely worth watching the show for, the rest of the cast used literally the same dialog from one show to the next. I didn't mind listening to Seven of Nine babble about flux capacitors.

So didn't I.................

Tell you what Garth, I have an original piece here I think I could part with. PM me your address, and I'll send you, a genuine Simon Mercs original, as I sympathize with your plight. It's not a HUGE 1:350th or anything, but I don't think you'll be dissapointed.

Please, no going "nuts" fellow members, I'm not Santa Claus, but Garth, in the "Big Scheme of things" way, has my conscience buzzing. I've been asking myself, "What's the right thing to do here?" for a couple of days.

My conclusion, make his day! Just makes me feel good to do it, no charges at all, so now, I want to see the "Happy" Garth, OK? :smiley23:

I'll sign it, and include a certificate of authenticity, does that bring, a bit o' cheer to ya' Garth-Baby?

No, I'm not giving any more out today! :smiley17:

Sayyyyy....where did everybody go?

Never heard of an RAK? (Random Act of Kindness). Good for the soul, try it sometime! :smiley17:

What did I say wrong........ :smiley22: ??

...God, you can hear the Crickets chirping, and a Tumbleweed just rolled past me....... :blink:

So...you don't want the model??? :huh: ...I'm confused now.....

...Mmmm...Garth........Earth to Garth......please PM your shipping address....I'm packing the model up as we speak...need an address bud.....helloooooo...... :huh: what the........

Sorry, ... Uhura was getting a cup of coffee .............. didn't see this until now ...........

Wanna see the happy Garth? Git me a date with Jessica Simpson ..............

...Mmmm...Garth........Earth to Garth......please PM your shipping address....I'm packing the model up as we speak...need an address bud.....helloooooo...... :huh: what the........

OK! Moving back to the topic, I'll have start-up images very soon! :smiley2:

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a "peek" at the Nav & Strobe lighting circuit for the Voyager Project starting on Monday. Pic and film clip posted at http://www.strangestuffstudio.com/PRODUCTS.html

Scroll down past the Irwin Allen Stuff, it's the first item in the Star Trek Stuff section. Yes, they are for sale, but that's not the point of this post. The film clip there shows the actual circuit, fabricated by Space Circuits, of the unit, I'm using in the Project.

Very cool, and is timed exactly like the "Real Mc Coy!" :blink:

podc_2_-600x450.jpg

The Voyager project officially began today. Early marking work on "to be cut-out segments", for later illumination. A typical "Start-Up" to any client order. :smiley2:

voy9_20_-524x412.jpg

voy9_21_-574x393.jpg

voy9_33_-478x324.jpg

voy9_30_-478x312.jpg

voy9_4_-415x312.jpg

More next week! :smiley20:

Well into the "Prep", or "Parts Conversion", process now. The Upper, and Lower Primary Saucer Portholes, have all been cut out and refined, ready for eventual "Glassing".

Began working on Secondary section this morning. As this kit was not designed to be lighted, every aperture must be drilled and hand-carved accurately. Some clear after market parts, like DLM's Sensor Dish in clear Blue, and others, must be utilized to make the lighting accurate as well.

I never install any lighting components, until the system complete an 8 hour "Burn-in" test. These CCFL Tubes are rated for 20,000 hours of life. If they wink out in 8, they are defective. The time to discover a fault in the lighting system is,.....not after assembly!!

Prep can take many weeks, it's this process which takes up nearly 60% of the build's overall production time. A few images below show some of last week's progress.

voy_9_75_-524x384.jpg

voy_9_79_-574x392.jpg

voy_9_85_-471x295.jpg

DSC01686-433x307.jpg

voyvr5_11_-433x295.jpg

A bit more progress on the Voyager project. We had a very successful test session with the new Space Circuits "Nav & Strobe" effect module! Check out the Workbench page of the Kit Factory website to see 2 film clips of the unit activated. http://www.simonmercs.biz/WORKBENCH.html

Almost completed on the Secondary Hull's Portholes, a few more days left on that. :blush:

An early look at the Control Console's layout. Three sections of switches, first one is the "Main" which powers up the main lighting of the Ship, second set of three switches activates "Maneuvering" options, from Warp Engines, Impulse Engines, and the Thrusters. The last set of 4 Switches are "Weapons" and these control the Forward and rear Dual Photon Torpedo Banks. :D

Off for the rest of the day, the Wife insists "I put down the exacto knife", or else, I'm sure trouble will ensue! :unsure:

Happy Labor Day all! :P

voy_9_102_-745x393.jpg

voy_9_113_-424x297.jpg

voy_9_105_-470x297.jpg

voy_9_122_-524x338.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The Voyager project continues at a good pace this week. Lots of parts prep is now completed, and a test session, of a rough mock-up, of the Aft Photon Torpedo Tubes firing brilliant bursts. Film clip located on top of Workbench Page on the Kit Factory website.

http://www.simonmercs.biz/WORKBENCH.html

voy9_186_-524x412.jpg

voy9_166_-547x393.jpg

voy9_168_-453x337.jpg

voy9_169_-437x337.jpg

voy9_164_-452x317.jpg

Now in the very time consuming "glassing" phase of the build, using a concoction of Polymer's, devised at my own "Muppet Labs", to create crystal clear portholes and windows. It takes appox. 165 hours to "glass" almost 300 apertures on the Voyager, tedious, but pays off big, later on in the build, A few images of the process, posted below, for those keeping up with the progress of this project.

voy9_203_-524x413.jpg

voy9_198_-572x392.jpg

voy9_211_-451x331.jpg

voy9_216_-439x321.jpg

voy_9_125_-897x175.jpg