A decal fixing question

BobHolmes

My grandson and I are in the final stages of completing a Tamiya P-51B. Yesterday when he was attaching bomb racks and ordnance I guess the MicroSol stuff hadn't completely dried on one of the bottom wing stripes and he scuffed a fairly large portion of the stripe. My question - in you feller's opinion what is the best/easiest way to fix it? I have some spare white striping but I don't know about putting a decal on a decal; filling in the damaged portion with paint but then how does paint react to the decal?; other? Of course my first thought is to just leave it the way it is, but it doesn't really look to good. It is on the bottom of the wing though. Any thoughts and recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Many points there. Decal on decal won't be a problem. What might be a problem is the whites may not match, so you would trade one "oops" for another. Same deal on paint. It won't harm the decal either, unless you use lacquer and you probably aren't. But, again, the whites may not match plus you'll have brush marks.

Best thing I could think of is if there is an unused portion of the kit decal that has any white on it. Stripe, star, whatever. Cut your patch out of that. At least the whites will match. Wait a day or more to make sure the decal on the kit is completely set, then put on your patch. If you use setting solution, use very, very little. You don't want to re-soak the decal that's already there.

Or just call it battle damage and don't worry about it. Like you said, it's on the bottom. Use it as a teachable moment and move on.

Many points there. Decal on decal won't be a problem. What might be a problem is the whites may not match, so you would trade one "oops" for another. Same deal on paint. It won't harm the decal either, unless you use lacquer and you probably aren't. But, again, the whites may not match plus you'll have brush marks.

Best thing I could think of is if there is an unused portion of the kit decal that has any white on it. Stripe, star, whatever. Cut your patch out of that. At least the whites will match. Wait a day or more to make sure the decal on the kit is completely set, then put on your patch. If you use setting solution, use very, very little. You don't want to re-soak the decal that's already there.

Or just call it battle damage and don't worry about it. Like you said, it's on the bottom. Use it as a teachable moment and move on.

Thanks very much for your response. Far as a "teachable moment", at my age there certainly are a bunch of them still out there, but I am getting way too thick to absorb 'em. (at least according to my bride of the last 49 yrs) I do, in fact, have a decal from the Tamiya sheet that I won't use, and it is the same color white as the other so I may give it a try. Battle damage is good also. I enjoy building/repairing PCs for friends and family. But as with my re-attempt at model building I'm afraid of screwing something up worse than it was in the first place. And in most cases, I don't know what to do from there. Thanks again Ron.