how to make realistic tall grass

Zglossip

I am going to be building a diorama here soon and i was looking for a unexpensive way to make realistic tall grass i now you can buy it at hobby stores but it only comes in small packs and can be expensive and i live far away from a hobby store so advice wouild be appreciated

Back in the day it was cheap throw away brushes but you have the same problem with not covering lots of space.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/24PC-PACK-2-DISPOSABLE-CHIP-BRISTLE-PAINT-BRUSH-FOR-GLUE-STAIN-RESIN-/261028809526?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc6878b36

Hi, Z,

Railroad modelers have all the best stuff for scenery. I am going to recommend you order three or four packets of Woodland Scenics Field Grass in slightly different colors of green and a tan or yellow. Each packet costs about $3.50. You get a large quantity of grass strands about 2.75 inches long. Since this is longer than you need for most dioramas, you can cut the strands to the lengths you need, say 0.5 inch, by simply cutting them with a scissors. You will get imperfect lengths this way, but real grass is not uniform to exact length anyway. Most likely you will have enough leftovers to do many more dioramas.

Cut some of each shade and mingle them, because grass is not all uniform in color either. The tricky part is getting the strands glued at one end to your groundwork. This takes PATIENCE on your part, and no small amount of frustration. You want to have your grass field look fairly even in the distribution of the blades of grass, not like a bad hair transplant with bundled sheaves of grass stuck down here and there with their tops spread out to hopefully fill the gaps in the bases of the bundles. Your glue (thinned clear or white glue) on the groundwork is the key to getting the grass to stick standing up. The glue has to be tacky enough to take the strands and hold them while it continues to set. Don't worry if some strands fall sideways or over because real grass does that too. Practice this first on something not important to get the hang of it. If the railroad guys can get convincing long grass, so can we. Good luck!

Ed

Ed

Where can you by this stuff

just type "woodland scenics" into google or go straight to "ebay" and you'll find lots of online sellers. Tower Hobbies is one of the bigger mail order suppliers out there who list it - look about halfway down this page: www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0094P?&N=N&F=BACU2716&L=WOOU1134&C=UPDWOO&P=FR&S=