How to make color variations on a model

Zglossip

I build alot of model aircraft but the way i weather them doesnt make them look weathered enough. I saw a video on youtube of someone making color variations on the surface of the wings but when i tried it it looked terrible i wouild appreciate help from modelers more experienced than i am.

The easiest way to start is by using pastel chalks. Get a set from an art store with lots of grays and browns. You brush them onto the model in the direction of airflow and/or gravity. Build them up until you get a look that you like. They can be used to simulate dirt, grime, soot, smoke, and exhaust stains. Vary them by making some heavier than others, and also taper the effect by starting heavy and ending lightly.

They're safe in that you can wipe them off with a damp paper towel and start over if you don't like what you put on. BUT, there are also a few cautions:

1) Until you spray a clear coat over them, they're not permanent. You can leave a fingerprint in them if you don't handle the model carefully until you do

2) The clear coat will tend to tone down your work. If you don't apply enough, you may find a need to go back and add more after the clear coat.

Another simple weathering technique is using a sharp pointed silver colored pencil to apply "chipping" in places on the model, instead of using silver paint. It easier to control the pencil than a very small brush.

There's much more weathering you can do such as washes, dry brushing, pre-shading, and post shading; but those require much more practice and experience. Dot filters also go a long way towards realistic weathering, but it's also a very advanced technique.

Start out simple and build form there! Hope this helps!

GIL :smiley16:

Generaly you use a short bristle brush. You can use a wide or narrow one, depending on how much you want to apply, and depending on the effect you're trying to make. You can cut a brush down to size yourself if you can't find one to buy.

GIL :smiley16: