Nationals Themed Group Build 2: The British Invasion

Guest PetrolGator

Guest PetrolGator

All,

I uh, may have had ulterior motives with my Great Build group build outside of an excuse to build the HMS Tiger. For the 50th Anniversary, we will be having FOUR group builds on the server to help celebrate our organization.

Items that qualify for this build will be British in origin. Beyond that, we have no qualifications. The main thread will be updated as people sign up for it.

Expected start date: Feb 14, 2014 because we all LOVED the British Invasion. Expected end date is May 14, 2014 or somewhere around there.

1) Gil Hodges - Tamiya 1/48 MKV Spitfire

2) Ron Bell - Brengun 1/72 /Typhoon Mk Ib cardoor kit

3) John Ratzenberger - Revell 1/72 S.E.5a

Yeah, yeah, yeah... :smiley2:

Like you're old enough to remember it! <_< At least I actually watched the Beatles on Ed Sullivan! :smiley32:

Something British, eh what? Believe I'll be able to accommodate you old bean! :smiley20:

GIL :smiley16:

I have a Tamiya 1/48 MKV Spitfire trop that I can build for this group. I even have an old KMC detailing set to enhance it with too, as well as American desert markings for it! Now, just gotta finish those biplanes....

I've been wanting to do my Brengun 1/72 /Typhoon Mk Ib cardoor kit I got at the Nationals. I'll be doing it actually as a MkIA as they give you the parts for it as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, someone needs to kick this one off, so here I go -- and there's a bonus, somehow another kit joined my SE on the workbench ....

Note both kits are British, the aircraft are British, their release dates straddle the 1964 "invasion", and they also tie to the Great War theme GB ...

The Revell(GB) S.E.5a

rgb72se5a-01_boxart.jpg

rgb72se5a-02_parts.jpg

rgb72se5a-03_instr.jpg

and the Revell(GB) Sopwith Triplane

rgb72tripe-01_boxart.jpg

rgb72tripe-02_parts.jpg

rgb72tripe-03_instr1.jpg

rgb72tripe-03_instr2.jpg

I have cleaned them up. There are a few unfortunate ejector pins, some flash, but otherwise not too bad. The ribs are overstated and the "fabric texture" even more so, especially on the SE5a. I sanded the fabric texture down a bit and then took about half off the ribs ... will be close enough. I'll relook them once I get some paint on them ...

rgb72se5a-10_cleanup.jpg

rgb72tripe-10_cleanup.jpg

And I've started the painting. I'll be using Mister Kit PC-10 and CDL - acrylics. As a base/primer I use a thin coat of Humbrol 155 and 74. All brushed. Here's the undersides with the Hu74 & Mister Kit CDL on.

rgb72se5a-11_cdl.jpg

I did the Hu 155 primer coat this evening, no pix, and will do the CDL later. Once I get a decent coat on both sides, I'll do all my rigging hole drilling and such. I have started the pilots, and will get on the engine, props, struts, etc.

A bit of a break from the bench as I must go out of town for a meeting this week.

I have started on the Spitfire, but no pics yet. All I've done is paint some interior colors and glue the wings together...but I am on the way! I've also switched the planned markings as I found a set for Don Gentile's "Buckeye Don" of the American Eagle Squadron. It'll look nice on the shelf beside his Mustang "Shangri La"!

Got the Spitfire interior finished....

007-15.jpg

012-8.jpg

013-5.jpg

It's OOTB except for Eduard pe pre-colored belts and individual instrument dials (from the spares box) punched out and added to the main panel, on otherwise featureless raised bezels. The fuselage has also since been glued together as the interior can be added through the bottom before attaching the wings.

Questions and comments welcome, as always!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, with the 1st GB done, I can get back on this one. Today is the first I've had in several to even look at them.

No pix today, I'll do some tomorrow. The SE5a fuselage is together, the lower wing and stabs are on, all the rigging holes are drilled, and I have got the wing struts being glued into the bottom wing.

I have a problem with the cabane struts. The instructions show a particular shape for the cabanes with a pin on the bottom to go into a hole in the fuselage. The struts don't match that at all. A test fit indicates the front strut might fit, but the rear one isn't close.

Sigh ....

Guest PetrolGator

Once we move, I think I'm going to jump in this. I have a 1/700 Nelson I really want to build. I'll do that or a 1/350 HMS Warspite.

Here's a couple pix ....

rgb72se5a-12_mainstruts1.jpg

rgb72se5a-12_mainstruts2.jpg

All 4 struts seem to be the same length, instructions and fit would imply they should not be. This is not the only molding oddity with this kit.

I'll try again tomorrow. I think I'll fit/glue the front struts, then when dry tackle (making) the rear ones.

It's stable-mate, the Sopwith Triplane, is going to wait until I get further with the SE5 ....

Wow, I remember building both of those 1/72 scale aircraft when I was a kid! What memories you're bringing back! Looking good; I can't wait to see more.

I'll be pulling out my Harrier soon; I just have a few projects to complete first.

Got some paint on my Spit....

006-16.jpg

Primed it with the bottom color- Medium Sea Gray, and then came back and added black lines for pre-shading.

007-16.jpg

Here, you can see I've re-applied a slightly lightened Med. Sea Gray over the pre-shading, so the bottom is done for all practical purposes.

What a pleasure to assemble something with NO putty and little sanding! :smiley20: More pics when the camo is done!

Edited by ghodges

Haven't had much time recently, but I did get the cabane struts "figured out" ...

rgb72se5a-13_cabanestruts.jpg

Well, "figured out" means two of them fit on the rear and the other two were too long for the front but became short enough to fit well enough.

Tomorrow I hope to clean up around both the cabane and main struts and get ready to run some thread ....

I feel your pain John!

Meanwhile, my Spit is camo-ed! As usual for this type, 1 and 1/2 hours of masking for less than 10 minutes of spraying the green!

002-35.jpg

Still need to paint the yellow on the wing leading edges as well as the Sky fuselage band, but making progress! :smiley20: