Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa

cruz

Based on a Hasegawa kit. The engine used is a resin product from Historic Racing Miniatures. I also used a photo-etch detail set from KA Models and purchased the Hasegawa tires and rims specifically made for the kit. Paint is Tamiya Pure White without the use of clear. Decals are Carto Graph.

TestaRossa250project12001-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

TestaRossa250project12010-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

TestaRossa250project12032-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

TestaRossa250project12029-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

TestaRossa250project12035-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

TestaRossa250project12033-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

taRossa250project12finished042-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Marcos - Fantastic job! I have had several friends build this kit and they tell me that it is a very difficult to build model. The biggest problem they reported is getting the body, interior and frame to all fit properly. Did you have any problems with it?

Yes, it's definitely kinda tricky when you get to that phase of the build, I went through quite a bit of a struggle also.

Marcos - Fantastic job! I have had several friends build this kit and they tell me that it is a very difficult to build model. The biggest problem they reported is getting the body, interior and frame to all fit properly. Did you have any problems with it?

Absolutely beautiful!

So the white has no clear coat? Did you paint the blue racing stripes, or are they decals? Also, did you paint the piping details on the seats? Very, very crisp work!

GIL :smiley16:

picture048-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

picture054-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

TestaRossa250project9033-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Though the kit's seats have molded in piping, I knew it would be a challenge painting them so I decided to sand them off and use wire. I had to paint the bulge of the hood and match the paint to the rest of the decals because the hood decal would not conform to it. White has no clear.

Edited by cruz

• 4 weeks later...

Marcos - I just got my January 2014 issue of Model Cars Magazine where your Testa Rossa is on the cover. Both the model and the article you did is outstanding. Keep up the great work and I hope to see more of your work in the Magazine.

• Like 1

Ok Marcos.....so the white wire is applied for the piping....but exactly how did you apply it? What glue did you use to get such crisp results with no glue marks or marring of the red paint? Thanks!

Ok Marcos.....so the white wire is applied for the piping....but exactly how did you apply it? What glue did you use to get such crisp results with no glue marks or marring of the red paint? Thanks!

Oh, yes. Inquiring minds want to know! That looks fabulous!

The seats were painted flat red at the start and before applying the piping of course. I grabbed a toothpick and applied very small amounts of crazy glue on the wire first and then went ahead and started pressing it in place slowly and in sections while following the contours of the seats. Make sure the wire is stretched firmly first before applying it. You will surely notice small patches of super glue once done, it's inevitable being that the seat was flat and the glue dries glossy. No need to worry, just lightly add some clear to the seats from a distance. This will give it a slight vinylish look as seen in the pictures. It will tone everything up but make sure you don't go overboard with the clear, you want to achieve a satiny look.....

• 6 months later...

Marcos-

Great job! My Dad owned this Testa Rossa for about 3 months when I was a kid. He got $5000 for it in 1962 and thought he was making a killing!

-Rick

post-2724-0-48054400-1412159874_thumb.jpg