M4A3E2 WIP

Kranman

This is the fabulous Tasca kit - why I shelved it months ago is beyond me. I had a hissy-fit with an Italeri M24 Chaffee last week and ultimately ended up putting it in the trash. I then saw my Jumbo, forlornly sitting in a Sterilite shoe box and got back at it. This is a wonderful kit! The .50 cal. is a kit unto itself, the jerry cans are great and the attention given to the detail on the tank are first-rate.

The photos aren't the best and show up my dry brushing application harshly - it doesn't seem as stark in my hands. Anyway, some dusting effects should lessen that harshness and I've turned my attention to the tracks now. I previously shot them in MM enamel Flat Black but that rubbed off. So, I scrubbed them clean (not a difficult task) and re-shot them Tamiya Gloss Black - that stuff sticks like crazy! I'll probably use a dark shade of Alclad for the metal track connectors and EECs while the rubber portions will be worn and lightened with some dark grey I have in the paint shack.

My applications of color to this point are:

1. MM flat black shade coat (shadow areas, recesses and wheel rubber)

2. MM Olive Drab overall coat

3. MM Faded Olive Drab on horizontal surfaces and under streaked areas (lightly and randomly splotched)

4. Floquil Crystal Coat gloss (for decals - all two of them!)

5. Grumbacher oil + turpenoid wash overall (burnt umber? I can't recall)

6. Mix of Titanium White and Forest Green oils and turpenoid to make a mint green for drybrushing. This was an experiment on my part but I'm happy with the outcome. I thought straight white would be too much and the green tone isn't so stark and complements the OD underneath.

7. Oil pinwashes of varying colors for spills, wear, etc. (tonight)

8. Floquil Flat Finish

I've not done too much with pastels, though I do own some. I'll probably toy around with them as well - sparingly, as my intention isn't to make this model appear worn too much.

ANY and ALL comments are welcome! I'm my own harshest critic so you won't offend me

post-145-0-97468800-1390583110_thumb.jpg

post-145-0-45621500-1390583121_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kranman

I like it. I don't think the drybrushing is overdone; like you said; some dusty weathering will tone that down perfectly. Way to go. I'll be looking forward to seeing how the tracks turn out.

Here are the tracks installed. My darkest Alclad was Stainless Steel and it proved to be too bright. I tried some MM Anthracite Grey Metallic but it hardly showed up over the Tamiya black. I washed the tracks with oils and turpenoid again and then dullcoated them with Floquil Dull Lacquer finish. I still have to massage the tracks to where I want them, paint the tail lights and add the two visor cages for the driver/co-driver positions, as well as a few more tweaks but, it's largely done. What a great kit! I'm really impressed. I only imagine what fun surprises will greet me when I roll around to their M32 kit.

Oh, and thanks for the kind comments! It's been a little hiatus for me and getting back in the swing of things wan't too bad. Now, to refill my CO2 cylinders and move on to the next project.

post-145-0-96350600-1390756720_thumb.jpg

post-145-0-66997500-1390756721_thumb.jpg

post-145-0-26367800-1390756722_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kranman

Thank you, gentlemen! I'm happy with the outcome so far - I hope I don't drop super glue all ofer it getting those pesky periscope cages on. I should've added them well before this but, well, you know. I cannot say enough about the kit, it's that good to build. I'm not much of a competitor but the guys in the club are goading me on so I may enter it in some upcoming show. We'll see. Thanks again!