Best scribing tool

Guest PetrolGator

Guest PetrolGator

All,

I'm in need of a good scribing tool to repair and/or restore lost panel lines, mainly on ship's decks. Drawing multiple parallel lines has been a task with the hobby knife and well... I'm sure there are better methods out there. I'm tired of using wood decks (don't look right in scale) and wish to move to full on deck painting.

UMM has some fantastic tools. The scriber is an excellent tool and easy to use.

The UMM one rocks, it's the best one I've ever used.

In other words, get one

I'll echo the kudos for the UMM scriber! It holds its "edge" better than any other scriber I've used. It's also more versatile, in that you can push or pull it to get the job done. The one oddity is that you have to learn to hold it carefully and loosely, as you hold it along a sharpened edge! I've yet to cut myself while using it, but it's definitely a different "feel" to using it!

GIL :smiley16:

I still get good results with a sewing needle chucked in a pin vise or a #1 hobby knife handle. I like the Bare-Metal scriber, too, but I tend to drop them and ruin the tip...

Ralph

I use a sewing machine needle chucked into a pin vice to start the line as I find it easier to guide. A couple of light passes with that, and then I freehand it with the UMM scriber to cut a clean line. I find I can do straight lines free had okay with the needle line as a guide and by using good magnification so I can watch the tip of the UMM scriber.

I think the sewing machine needle works better than a regular needle because of its thicker shank and less acute point. Plus I believe the sewing machine needle's steel is harder to stand up to the pounding a sewing machine puts into it.

I didn't know UMM had a smaller version of the scriber. I'll have to snag one of those since I'm a Disciple of the One True Scale.

Edited by DaveDeLang