B-17G Diorama

ajlafleche

Nice work, Al. Gil is right. It does look "Shep-Paine-ish"! Keep up the good work,

Mark

Building on commission can be a drag and this is such an extensive project. How did you keep it "fresh" as you went along?

I hope your client was truly excited to receive this diorama. I know I would if it were coming my way. I also hope your compensation reflected your stellar efforts. Is everything OOB from the various kits? Did you add any PE or resin from the aftermarket?

Ed

Keeping it fresh...I wasn't under a strict timeline so I worked at a more leisurely pace. I'd send him in progress shots as I went along. I don't often do aircraft so I had to dig back into my skills for some of the techniques and plan tings out. I also tried a new antenna method using stretchy necklace material from Michael's. I drilled holes where they'd be attached and glued them first to the radio compartment. Them I inserted the other end, wing or tail, and pulled it tighter than it needed it to be and put a drop of Zap-A-Gap with accelerator and let it go...nice and tight with flexibility. I had to rethink attacment to the base for so may items and used stainless steel wire to hold all the wheeled items and the scaffold down. So, some "freshness" came from being out of my normal comfort zone.

I scratched the requested scaffold and did some detail work on the cart with spare PE. The Jeep driver's upper half is Verlinden and bottom half is Hasegawa. The owner thought about getting PE details, including interior detail sets. I convinced him it would be a waste of time and money since the dio will be in a plexiglas case as well as closed up and never be seen by anyone but me and him (in the pictures I was sending him.) . Other than that, stuff is pretty much OOB.