Tamiya 1/700 Scharnhost + Extras

Guest PetrolGator

Guest PetrolGator
I've decided to finally complete this model. I have the Eduard PE set, Flyhawk masts, and recently bought Tom's set. I didn't want to take the aftermarket TOO far, but hate how utterly basic the damn bulkheads are.

I've spent this evening detailing out the aft deckhouse with scrap PE hatches, some styrene strip, and windows. I'll be working my way forward with PE and putty.

0B408C8D-8B88-4E42-9165-FFF0F2118025_zps

B000FF26-518D-4836-A728-CBFBEF723398_zps

I WILL be replacing the cranes with PE equivalents, but not sure if I'm going to buy brass for the 15 cm guns... kind of want to do this on the cheap.

• Like 1

Guest PetrolGator

WELL since our server is down at work, here's the list of stuff I plan to do:

- Replace 15 cm gun barrels

- Detail horizontal surfaces with PE and styrene, using a book I have on the ship as a guide.

- Radar dishes

- Crew

- Artwox Deck. Yes. I'm cheating.

- Replacing cranes. They suck.

- Putty, putty, putty.

She'll be in overall dark German Grey with the lighter bow/stern. Additionally, I'm putting her in a VERY stormy sea, so crew on deck will be limited.

It's not a LOT of work, once the PE is done. I might even have this one done for the 25th...

Guest PetrolGator

It'll be a long build, Mark. I'm badly burnt out on modeling. I barely did anything this weekend and don't see a lot of movement this week.

This is as far as I've gotten:

I've continued using Tamiya putty and Mr Surfacer to fill seam lines and smooth areas that concern me. I've also done a little work on the limited PE set that I bought. This model is SUPPOSED to be a simple build. I'm going to use her to further refine how I make my water. Sadly, this is not the case.

- Lost one PE set which is annoying.

- Superstructure is FULL of gaps.

- The @)@% wood deck is meant to fit UNDER the superstructure which makes NO damn sense. The purpose of a wood deck is to simplify a build, not make it a total pain. I've, thankfully, got a Gneisenau that has most of the same superstructure. I'll use a dry fit of that model to trim the wood deck to fit correctly. Bloody annoying. I should have checked the deck BEFORE beginning construction.

- Due to the lost PE, will have to scratch build several platforms I cut off in anticipation of replacing them with brass.

- Adding strip styrene to better capture some details. Some is a little overscale, but is better than nothing.

AF9125F4-82FA-475B-88A9-0C376011A391_zps

664DEF55-6AFC-47CD-BBF9-3D29C928B72C_zps

I'm hoping to get a first coat of primer on tonight. We'll see if that actually happens.

Guest PetrolGator

Small update. I'm trying to get back into this. Obviously, it will NOT be ready for the show next week.

I've put an initial layer of primer down and found several issues. I'm currently smoothing the hull and hope to get a second layer on tomorrow and MAYBE even some paint!

7C9FBBF0-0598-4D25-B890-FFC025A370E5_zps

Note the wood deck. I'll get into THAT later..... <_<

I've added some PE to the conning tower to give it some detail. I will add some additional brass later in the build. I don't want to damage fragile parts if I can avoid it.

F50FF646-D9F5-44A4-804E-F47F53CBC9E4_zps

Side view. You can clearly see all the sanding. I'm not TOO concerned with the bottom plate fitting TOO well. It'll be "under water" in the dio.

DB2FE0C1-646D-4194-8F6C-613642831A9C_zps

Let's revisit picture #1. Check the outline of the superstructure on the main deck against that on the wood deck? Do you see a problem?

Clearly, Wood Hunter did not. They made this to fit on the @*$@$)$ unassembled hull because it makes sense to put a porous wood material on a ship BEFORE and DURING painting. Thankfully, I have her sistership unassembled. I'll be using her hull + unglued superstructure to cut the damn thing to fit.

Lame.

Really lame.

At any rate, I'm half assing my way through this, slowly.

Guest PetrolGator

ALSO: Seas for this build will be VERY stormy. I'm going to be doing a lot of experimentation with her water base, so I'm not going to super detail it like I usually do. I'd be PISSED if I ruined a 3+ month long build with a sloppy sea base.

Guest PetrolGator

Paint down! I've trimmed most of the wooden deck, though there is still some work to do there. I'll need to finish sticking it down. The paint is overall dark German grey, for now. The bow and stern will get a lighter coating of grey, with the whole model getting some nice weathering.

I may get this one done after all...

131002CB-D6DE-4F20-AEEF-8FBBFD296710_zps

A10593D4-D597-48FB-8BE3-73413193C261_zps

• Like 1

Guest PetrolGator

Yeah, but you have weird panel lines and stuff. Don't worry. I'm building an FW-190 as soon as this is done. You are welcome to offer feedback (read: HELP!)

Current point. Hull is painted. I'm going to do some weathering tonight and MAYBE place some railing. Once that's done, I'll start adding the details, masts, etc.

At some point I'll set her on her water base.

FD0AB358-A895-4A75-8AF4-27319CE7BF6F_zps

DA0E632A-0B63-46D9-A4B0-06794F02B879_zps

D9DF3FEA-791B-4385-8F9F-29791CAB91EC_zps

393E54EA-DCA6-4D47-8EF4-E57DFFCAAD34_zps

What a POS!!!!!! I can see seams lines, no contrast in shades, the decking looks like a 4 year old applied it! You need to find another hobby or post over on the KIDS BUILDS forum!!!!! LOL....rememeber this posting before you delete it all! I am by no means an expert, and LOVE hearing people rip my work to shreds. Beautiful Work!!!!!!! Can't wait to see it finished!

Guest PetrolGator

You wound me, sir.

But seriously, thanks. I did FUBAR the wood deck on this one, though. I'm fairly certain I won't be using Wood Hunter again.

Guest PetrolGator

Details, details, and more details. Most of the masts are done. I still have some stuff to attach to the main mast, but a lot would get in the way (and suffer potential damage while attaching stuff.)

Tomorrow:

- Reattach catapult.

- Finish deck details and touch up

- Continue trying to make wood deck look OK.

- Begin assembling the myrad of small AA guns.

- Railing? JK That's Wednesday.

Once I get some detail work done, I'll attack her to the base. I'm going to do a VERY storm sea, so we'll see how that turns out...

A0F068FA-19B8-4BB5-9E0D-2AF864CF2485_zps

7A90E047-6AF5-4D46-B591-D5BACB94F8E7_zps

71977978-F0EA-48C0-9691-1F2F795F3D10_zps

Yeah. I'm dry fitting the 15 cm guns. Also: Not worried about the gap at the waterline. That's all gonna be covered up and I didn't feel like dealing with it.

As I have said in the past! I can't stand PE in 1/35th scale. I can't imagine attempting to do it in 1/700 scale! Love the way the decking looks too!

Guest PetrolGator

See, I like the small PE. I've always had issues focusing and doing stuff like this REALLY has helped me develop a FAR better attention to detail in even my day to day life.

I think this will be one of the last times I use a wood deck in construction. It looks good for a modeler's model but horrifically out of scale with regard to realism. You shouldn't be able to see the butt ends of planking in 700 scale at all. In contrast, my Graf Zeppelin is in scale. However, I'm still struggling with how best to putty and sand seams that bisect deck planking. If anyone has a good method or advice on a scribing tool, please see my "Tool and Tips" thread.

Also - Expect a full water base tutorial if I pull off what I want to pull off with this build. I've been playing with plaster of paris and gel on scrap wood. I THINK I've got my method down.

Looking good, Chris. I can't wait for the tute on the water. I have an idea I want to play around with myself. Hope what you are doing may help me out.

Keep on plugging away.

Bill

I really like what I see. It took a really close shot for me to see what you call a FUBAR on the decking. Otherwise, it is an outstanding piece of work. I'm really looking forward to seeing it on the water.

Guest PetrolGator

Oh, I most certainly am. I'm just taking building SLOW and not putting a lot of time into modeling. My primary "hobby" has been emphasis on the gym and a final push back to my college body composition (don't care about weight; body fat is what matters.)

Done:

- All deck fiddy bits installed.

- Darkened wood deck to try to cover up how horrible Wood Hunter's deck is mistakes.

- Main armament and larger secondaries painted and installed.

I might start adding railing to her superstructure this weekend. I may even fashion her to the water base. Who knows. I've got a show Saturday so that might revitalize my interest in modeling. I'm pretty burnt out after the Zeppelin.