1/700 Red October WIP

KennyLoup

Well, I've been away from the bench for almost a year with remodeling the mobile home we bought Thanksgiving of last year. Being very close to finishing and just waiting on paydays to get the material I need to finish, I dusted off the modeling tools and started a simple little build, the Soviet ballisitc sub Red October. I wanted to build her as she was in the scene when they were getting the crew to abandon ship.

RedOctober1.jpg

Using rough watercolor paper as my starting point, I alternated layers of color and gloss heavy gel medium until I got the look I wanted and then made a rough sea by stippling a thick layer of gel medium with a 3/8" deer foot brush.

redoctoberbase.jpg

I did have to make some changes to the kit, enlarging the bridge and adding the sonar array to the rear fin.

redoctoberbridge.jpg

Next up was making the life rafts. I twisted wire solder around a hex bit, glued two rings together and then glued that on tissue paper for the bottom.

redoctobermakingrafts.jpg

After giving the model a coat of Future for that rain dampened look, I glued the life rafts on the sub.

redoctoberliferaft.jpg

That brings you up to today. We've all been sick, so I haven't been able to do much. I did start work on painting the crew. Life vest first.

redoctobercrew.jpg

Make sure we know which one is Sean!!!!!! Shouldn't be too hard to paint a white beard and use a microballon for his belly!!!!! HaHa!!! Can't wait to see more!

• Like 1

I got to work on the Red October today. With the exception another coat of Future to blend the decals and cover a couple of touch ups, I'm call this one done.

Red_October1.jpg

Red_October_2.jpg

photo_1_28229.JPG

photo_2_28229.JPG

photo_3_28129.JPG

• Like 1