Member rankings

Guest PetrolGator

Well, the story behind the Monty nicknames is that Dick was convinced that a 4 footer was stalking him at the Louisiana visitors' center. Of course, he was hold a sandwich at the time and these gators are well fed by the tourist. But the pastey white one is convinced that he was going to be gator food.

4ft'er? 4FT'ER?! That beast was six feet long and had already tied his bib around his neck, and was picking up the salt and pepper shakers!

But through fast thinking and quick action I secured my safety. I turned and ran away squawking like a duck. I hear gators don't like duck meat.

Saw a 25ft Crocodile in Australia.....now that's big.

Was in some "game park" along the hiway...

I didn't know that I was promoted to the rank of "Plastic Habit" Thanks guys! What an honor! Ha! Thanks,

Mark

Well, the story behind the Monty nicknames is that Dick was convinced that a 4 footer was stalking him at the Louisiana visitors' center. Of course, he was hold a sandwich at the time and these gators are well fed by the tourist. But the pastey white one is convinced that he was going to be gator food.

4ft'er? 4FT'ER?! That beast was six feet long and had already tied his bib around his neck, and was picking up the salt and pepper shakers!

But through fast thinking and quick action I secured my safety. I turned and ran away squawking like a duck. I hear gators don't like duck meat.

Weinie.

Weinie.

Oh yeah?! OH YEAH!? Well......ah....er.....I got nothin'

Very funny Dick! Best,

Mark

Might I suggest, the more often someone posts on these Forums, the less time they spend building models. I'd personally make the level titles unrelated to actual model building. Perhaps some reference to verbosity...

Guest PetrolGator

What about those who can do both? I can think of a number of members who have shown a proliferation of both postings and verbosity.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest PetrolGator

"Gold chains" often lead to more usage. We've seen a spike in postings (most useful and not "filler") since restoring the "member title" function. Additionally, I've approved more new memberships to the forum, mainly due to the uptick in traffic.

It's surprising how small things like this affect usage. Hell, even "filler" comments like "Good job" on builds incentivize people to post more. People like praise. If you're this frustrated by the new titles, perhaps a constructive outlet would be to post more builds, comments, etc to help boost forum usage directly?

These changes are put into place to help make the majority of posters better enjoy their experience as well. Most of the comments made on this thread have been very positive. However, if a significant backlash occurred, they would have been disabled.

Also: It is within your ability to elect to see others' signature if it is so disruptive to your experience on the forums. I am not going to disable that functionality that many members enjoy. If the signature is abusive, perverse, or otherwise inappropriate, that's another story.

Well, I consider ALL signatures inappropriate, but I'm guessing that won't carry much weight.

I would make a small correction on one of your observations....it should be "insecure people like praise".

I would argue the "spike" in postings is people artificially inflating their post count just to move up a rung, which leads to having to cull through more waste to find useful content.

Personally, I would love to see a thread where people post their work and people can critique it to help the builder build better, not just massage their egos, and inflate post count.

Guest PetrolGator

Such is your opinion, Kevin. If you feel that the only purpose of an Internet forum is pure business, well, I'm sure there are other model-related forums that would cater to your desires. Many members on this board enjoy the praise given to an excellent build.

Oh, and we have those threads. Please feel free to contribute. All people posting in progress work, including myself, love criticism. That's how we get better.

Kevin: I know when I post my work, I usually put "comments, critiques, and questions welcome". This is to let people like yourself know that I'm open to constructive critiques.

If a poster doesn't put such a comment, then I opt for the tactful reply that overlooks what I might construe as an "error". For the VAST majority of builders, even the majority of those who post here; it's a hobby first and a vocation second. They may or may not view "improving or correcting" a model as a need in their building style. I'm not going to rain on their parade just because their model isn't built the way I might might build it.

As for signatures and "rankings"; who really pays attention to such trivial things? They carry no true value or weight, and are merely an attempt at a little levity or perhaps a way for a poster to show a side of their personality. Who am I to squelch such harmless things?

The great thing about this forum is you can surf when and where you want. If a subject or poster turns you off; skip 'em!

GIL :smiley16:

Is this really needed? It's bad enough I have to look at people signatures and IPMS # in posts, now more wasted space? This is known as the "gold chains" of the internet.

Kevin, the statement is inconsistent with the fact that you use an "alias" as an identifier and that your comment, itself, seems to fall into the exact category which you deplore. If you don't want to spend time on a post then you can certainly skip it. No harm is done by the use of the new "titles" and no harm is done by a person making, what may seem to you, to be an innocuous post.

For you people replying to me telling me I'm entitled to my opinion...you also seem to be using yours to tell me I'm wrong to have the one I do. I'm fully aware I can "change the channel", and trust me, I do.

In addition, the picture of the dead seal in Montgomery's avatar space is EXTREMELY offensive to me, and I ask that it be removed immediately. Disgusting.

Kevin,

You can, I believe, block posts made by anyone that you do not wish to see. That would take care of your issues.