Syrian T-34/D30 or my best Shot at it!!!

Mark Aldrich

Started this after finishing my Syrian T-34T build. There are three options on the approach. Maquettes kit, AEF Designs Conversion or complete scratch. Then there is Mark's way. As the Maquette kit is a POS and I have still seen no photographic evidence of a square tubbed version, I believe this is not even a possiblity. It is not often that you will ever here me say this. AEF Designs is a good starting point. The tub is nice and round but too thick. I am using it as a master and attempting my own build. This may take some time as I am also doing lots of review kits as well plus the Holiday Season is upon us. My base kit is the Dragon T-34/85 NVA version. Old but still great as a base and comes with the starfish wheels that I will use most of. Hey...gotta have variety!

The actual vehicle.....

T34D30_zpsd27bbcec.jpg

Making the L angle ring around the removed turret....

100_8647_zps5f5df971.jpg

100_8646_zpse7a1d98b.jpg

Making the sheet metal tub. The tub is composed of thee parts. DO not attempt to do it as I have done. Use a single piece of sheet styrene or brass and simply imitate the rear join. As you can see, it is not round.

100_0007_zps4833810c.jpg

100_0008_zps33e897b3.jpg

AEF includes a nice interior. I have heard rumors that this is copied off Jaguar. Either way, it will work nicely.

100_8648_zps947649ce.jpg

Thanks man! Thought I was going to get some build time this weekend but Mrs. TreadHead has decided we need some US time at Ocean Shores this weekend!!!!

No bowing!!!! I messed it up and have no desire to try and fix it. Would mean attempting to pull it all off and since we all KNOW it would not come off right, lots of sanding in an area where too much detail would get destroyed. So, I accept it and hopefully after the nice ammo cans are mounted inside, it will not be quite so noticeable.

Well, I for one cannot see where you messed it up. It sure looks correct to me. You've managed to hide your mistake very well, at least to these eyes. In that respect, you do deserve a bow.

• 2 weeks later...

Weekends progress

Trumpeter/RB models 122mm gun. There is nothing wrong with the Trumpeter gun other than two points. One, it is two halves (which means gluing and sanding) and two, the attached tow pintle is mounted inside the muzzle break when in reality, it is simply bolted on.

100_0181_zps5eb56973.jpg

Upper Hull

100_0182_zpsc4c08718.jpg

Interior (waiting for four cast seats to paint it and close it up)

100_0183_zpsde37dbf8.jpg

Chris,

Used the nothing more than water brought to a boil and then removed and the part wrapped around whatever you want. Coke can, glass cup, anthing that is round and the size you want or close to it and NOT PLASTIC! Wood, metal, glass. Being in the Water Works industry I have access to SCH40 couplings which work great for this. They are not affected by the heat and very smooth surfaced. I usually use clothes pins or rubber bands. Rubber bands are affected by the heat as well so if I use them, there are usually 4-5 around the plastic.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Weekends progress.....Even with two reviews, I managed to get some stuff done.....

Interior finished (for now) and ready to attach to upper hull

100_0053_zpsa6441bd1.jpg

Buttoned up with the Barrel lock and antenna base attached. Should have used a WWII version but I had these ArmorScale Modern ones handy.

100_0054_zpsd399f7ce.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Can you say.....EPIC FAIL????? This is why I rarely scratch build complicated items!!!!!!!

100_0150_zps5488d372.jpg

HaHa!!!!! Chris, the outer supports are angle iron! Don't think they would have gotten THAT damaged no matter how badly the crew misused it!!!!

Can you say.....EPIC FAIL????? 100_0150_zps5488d372.jpg

I say it all the time when I build my models. Every one is an epic fail somewhere which keeps it from winning anything at contests. I still keep plugging along, just as I know you will. You can do this; after all, it ain't 1/72 scale!