57 chevy...WIP...FINISHED...3-24-14

GaryDavis

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Mark. I'm in the process of re-taping all the chrome molding on the body to shoot the inside fender wells the satin black. I also have to tape the molding around the headliner and windows. When I get that finished...I'll post pics. The first coat of blue hopefully...will be laid down this weekend.

Edited by GaryDavis

Here is a progress update.... The body was shot with Duplicolor and will be rubbed out in a few days. I really like this color of blue. Looking at the reference pics I have of the car...it seems pretty darn close. I tried something new on this body. I taped all the Chrome off as to not get any paint on them at all. I think it will make the BMF a lot smoother when it is applied. Here are a few pics.....

IN THE PAINT BOOTH....

paintedbody002-vi.jpg

paintedbody005-vi.jpg

THE TAPE OFF and Mounted to chassis(mocked up)

paintedbodyII005-vi.jpg

paintedbodyII010-vi.jpg

paintedbodyII008-vi.jpg

paintedbody009-vi.jpg

Thank you FOR LOOKING in....

Hi, Gary,

The body looks very interesting. I'm curious. Did Chevrolet have a factory production option code for white chrome? White trim against blue body panels is very visually striking. :o

Ed

Hi, Gary,

The body looks very interesting. I'm curious. Did Chevrolet have a factory production option code for white chrome? White trim against blue body panels is very visually striking. :o

Ed

:lol: Hey Ed....To my knowledge...I've never seen white body moulding on any car. Ya know....that might be an idea for a Custom build....Hmmmmm....Can't do it on this build though. Tim had Chrome. I don't think I explained myself very well. I'm going to use BMF(BARE METAL FOIL) on ALL of the molding areas. I wanted to show how smooth the moldings where when taped off before painting. I had to tape twice..once before priming and one more time before color paint. This will help the foil lay down nice and smooth. I still have to rub the paint out a bit and I'll do that in a day or two... and then clear coat it...then add the BMF.

Here are a few progress shots. The Flame pattern was drawn onto paper and then cut out and transferred to tape on the hood. I shot the white flames with flat white. Then went back and shot two or three coats of color to push the flames back a little. The hood has been rubbed out and will get at least two coats of clear...along with the rest of the body.

Hoodflames003-vi.jpg

Hoodflames004-vi.jpg

HoodflamesII001-vi.jpg

Edited by GaryDavis

Thank you Gil and Mark....Unfortunately... I put the hood in the stripper tank. Looking at the hood real close... revealed that I rubbed a little to much out of the white flame on the two raised areas. Sooo...It's scrubb time and repaint for the hood.

Edited by GaryDavis

Here's a few pics of some progress. The hood was stripped and re-primed. putty was put on the nose as there where a few scratches that were pretty deep that I hadn't noticed before. Sanded the putty and while doing that...the hood hinge tube fell off in my hand...LOL I broke out the 5 min. epoxy and glued it back in place and that's where it is now....waiting for that to dry and then it will be primed and then shot with the blue. Thanks for looking in folks...

HoodRedo005-vi.jpg

HoodRedo006-vi.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here's some progress pics of ALL the re-do area's. The hood and (trunk lid...found dirt on the bottom in the paint..) have been re-shot with the blue. They look good to this point. Need to be rubbed out and they're finished. The rear body area between the window and trunk lid needed fixed also...It's in primer now and waiting for it to gas out and then sand. The Blue will be shot on it tonight...Thanks for looking in folks...

HOOD and Trunk lid...

newpaintII011-vi.jpg

The back....

newpaintII003-vi.jpg

newpaintII007-vi.jpg

newpaintII012-vi.jpg

newpaintII009-vi.jpg

That's a lot of red putty on there. You have great patience in sanding all of that area smooth again. Looking good on the blue you are keeping so far.

Ed

That's a lot of red putty on there. You have great patience in sanding all of that area smooth again. Looking good on the blue you are keeping so far.

Ed

Hey Ed...thanks for looking in. It don't take very much patience on the sanding part....and actually....that's not very much putty on there. It looks kinda thick in the pic.. but it's not. It sanded down easily. The bottom pic shows it sanded and primed(again). I just finished shooting the blue back on. I'll pull the tape in a few minutes and shoot a pic. That's the part about Automotive Lacquer that I really like....it sets up fast.

Edited by GaryDavis

OK....the tape is off and it looks A LOT better to me. Now...I'll let it setup for a few days and then rub it out. This build is on the last stretch towards home. Here's a few pics of the fresh paint...thanks for looking in folks....

paintondeck003-vi.jpg

paintondeck002-vi.jpg

Edited by GaryDavis

Thank you for the compliments guys.

Here's a long awaited update(for me anyway) The body and chassis are as one. All BMF is finished. The front bumper is just mocked up. The rear bumper is attached for good. A few touch ups are in order and then the Grill and all the scripts and emblems are going on next. But...I still need to redo the flames on the hood and that will be done tomorrow. Here are a few pics for a look...Thanks for lookin' in...

CHASSISON001-vi.jpg
CHASSISON002-vi.jpg
CHASSISON004-vi.jpg
CHASSISON007-vi.jpg

Well...it's finished. This has been a challenging and enjoyable build. Here are some finished pics of this street fighter...thanks for looking in on this build folks.

FINISHEDPICS001-vi.jpg

FINISHEDPICS003-vi.jpg

FINISHEDPICS004-vi.jpg

FINISHEDPICS005-vi.jpg

FINISHEDPICS008-vi.jpg

FINISHEDPICS011-vi.jpg

One of my acquaintances in high school (late 60's) had a '57 Chevy. In fact, other than the buddy who drove a Camaro, most of the guys I knew back then had a Chevy. I'm sure there were some Ford owners, and a whole herd of VW owners, but the ones I remember were all Chevy owners. Hmm..... I'm still a Chevy owner and have been for years.

Gary - Great Job on this build! Last time I tried to do a ghost flame job on a model it was a mess. It was a 40 Ford Coupe and when I pulled off the masking tape for the flames the silver undercoat and primercoat peeled off! I have not got up the nerve to try again.

Gary - Great Job on this build! Last time I tried to do a ghost flame job on a model it was a mess. It was a 40 Ford Coupe and when I pulled off the masking tape for the flames the silver undercoat and primercoat peeled off! I have not got up the nerve to try again.

Thank you Dan. Well you're not alone on the Ghost flame thing. This is the THIRD time around for this one. I did the very same thing( the second time around) that you experienced when you pulled the tape off. I changed to using a scalpel(instead of using an X-acto knife) with a new blade and no pressure at all. I had to go slow and cut twice in a few areas.. but it didn't cut through the paint. It worked out fine.

Mark Deliduka, on 25 Mar 2014 - 10:15, said:

snapback.png

Simply outstanding job on my favorite car! I am overwhelmed at that masterful job! When I grow up, I wanna build cars just like you!

LOL....thank you Mark.

Edited by GaryDavis

No, no Gary.....entirely too realistic! :smiley2:

Outstanding craftsmanship, and thanks for letting us ride along! I know I'm learning a lot.

GIL :smiley16:

Thank you Gil..

Edited by GaryDavis

• 1 month later...
Guest PetrolGator

WOW. This is the sort of build that modelers (of any genre) salivate to complete. It makes me want to build a model car and I don't even LIKE building them!

Bravo!!