Nationals Themed Group Build 1: The Great War

Guest PetrolGator

ok, I had a lot of time last night and today (about 8 hours total) to start this project off, I got part of the cockpit and ammunition/gas tank done:

fokker4_zps86f64dff.jpg

fokker6_zps5a78ca59.jpg

fokker3_zps30b24c9c.jpg

Painted the subassemblies last night and put them together and weathered them today.

Right in the middle of working on the instrument panel now:

fokker8_zps25a1fb68.jpg

Guest PetrolGator

Nice cockpit, Brian. I'm hoping to start back up on the HMS Tiger once Scharnhorst is off my desk. I have to have her done for the Pensacola show so that I can school Brandon.

I haven't forgotten this, just been busy on other things.

I did want to mention that I emailed Panzershop about the missing parts right around the new year and the replacement parts arrived this week - excellent customer service.

Now that I have no excuses maybe I ought to get back to work ....

Thanks for the comment Chris, got a little more done the last few days.

Cockpit is done.

fokker12_zps33333b1b.jpg

Engine in progress. sorry for the slightly fuzzy pic...

fokker11_zps40197893.jpg

Seeing all the cool builds and people enjoying them in this thread i helping me fire the burners to build. :smiley16:

Guest PetrolGator

FINALLY, an update.

The Tiger's main hull has been painted in the Ghost Grey by Lifecolour. My next step involves a TON of masking, deck tan, and then some work on picking out individual planks with colored pencils. I'll hit it with a SUPER thin layer of the tan then wash lightly. Once I'm happy with the main hull, I'll start working on her superstructure. I'll be building/puttying from bow to stern with the turrets near last.

Overall:

64CD3765-E328-412A-B48E-EBE4B3DB36D7_zps

B0D84FD1-570B-4EBC-933C-E944CAE5ED39_zps

You can see the repaired breakwater here. The original from Combrig was missing a good 2/3 of its length.

FFDC7418-2D0D-40F4-B790-850139AA269E_zps

I deeply hope this build picks up steam.

Guest PetrolGator

The day off has been productive. One of the most frustrating parts of the build is mostly done with the main hull being painted. As I've said before, I'm going to have to build her main hull to provide a safe base for the rest of the battlecruiser with the SHEER amount of PE in this ship.

The deck was fun. I used a base deck tan and marked planks with colored pencils. This was sprayed down with a thinned town base coat then stained with oils. I then proceeded to weather the hull itself.

8809CAF0-53F0-455B-848C-37B411B16230_zps

1DB47CA0-47B3-4F41-B0FB-1975CA43B883_zps

891A4970-D406-44F7-8752-D717CA040FC0_zps

HMS Tiger will be in her 1918 configuration. In my opinion, this is when she had the most striking profile.

Opinions welcome, especially negative ones.

I'm in. I wanted to sign up earlier but wasn't sure that my time commitments would accommodate participation. In keeping with limited time I chose a suitable model, and a bit different than what has been selected by other participants.

The Maxim Machine Gun used by Russian troops in W.W. I by ICM....

Let's start with the Box Top...more pics to follow.

Box_Top.jpg

Well, since Chris is such a whipcracker and has nothing better to do but build models, I've started my HMS Warspite today. Working on the superstructure. Trumpeter's photoetch has some slight fit issues. the bottom pe for the walls was so difficult to align I used it as a template to drill out the portholes and then ditched it. The other two pieces wrapped around a little better. but the fit was tight between the two decks.

IMG_17291_zps45f9c8e8.jpg

IMG_17331_zps427b0ddc.jpg

Last update for the day. Work done on the deck and hull. I'm building her as she was at Jutland so I've swung out the small caliber guns to repel destroyer attack.

photo3_zps8518c635.jpg

photo14_zpsf0a1c68e.jpg

photo24_zps7423ae66.jpg

"Whip cracker" is such a harsh thing to say...... Still, sometimes good people need a bit of incentive.

The only reason I was able to work on it today was that it was way too cold to work on the house. :D

Guest PetrolGator

Translation: I'm glad Chris lit a fire under me so I could work on my Warspite like I REALLY wanted to do.

"Whip cracker" is such a harsh thing to say...... Still, sometimes good people need a bit of incentive.

The only reason I was able to work on it today was that it was way too cold to work on the house. :D

Guest PetrolGator

Progress and grey hairs.

Pros: Good lord the bridge is a nice looking construct.

Cons: Building it. Good god. I love/hate this model with an undying passion.

Once this monster is primed, painted, and installed, I'll have the worst of the photo etch done minus well, all the rest of it. Still, I love the Tiger enough not to give up.

89D3F4BD-AC94-4BCD-957B-E684A4CEC184_zpsSee the hatch? That's a separate PE piece. See that little cable above the lowest level of the forward superstructure? Also a separate piece of PE. The damn thing has SHUTTERS on two observation bunkers aft of the citadel. You can see that I've left one propped partially open, one completely, and one closed.

9BDA39FA-23DC-47F8-BB75-D14F61E88614_zps

Underside is ALL brass as well. As a side note, I'm attaching all the hatches to the deck as soon as I paint the PE.

6D76659D-7077-4C53-88B0-5F9D98E7CE55_zpsSorry for the blur. I've installed her forward anchors and chains. These chains are tiny silver bits I get from Hub Hobby in NOLA. They're awesome in 1/700 scale.

AA052745-4413-48FA-AAAC-742661A3514A_zps

Bow shot. Even without her tripod, she's a handsome ship. The HMS Tiger and Hood were Britain's prettiest by far.

Tomorrow:

- Prime and fill any gaps on the superstructure. Paint. Hitting the decks with the linoleum paint may be entirely too difficult. We'll see if I bother. (Hint: I probably will.) The linoleum was held in place via brass strips, like on IJN ships. If I do paint the things, I'll be scratching off the paint to reveal the brass underneath. Neat.

Weekend:

- Funnels next. Once these are attached, I'll work on the aft superstructure which is about 80% as evil as the forward.

- Cover the hilariously ugly holes on the deck levels with their hatches.

That's all for today.

Looking good Chris. Remember to keep the weathering light. The Royal Navy was very particular about the condition of their ships. Also, they spent a lot of time in and out of Rosyth and Scapa Flow giving the crew plenty of time to perform routine maintenance.

Guest PetrolGator

There is some touch up needed on her superstructure due to a bit of wash getting where it didn't belong. I'm really happy with the hull.... not adding anything else to beat her up.

I'm trying to decide which direction I'm going to go in next. Her aft superstructure is going to be a painto build, like everything else. I may get her funnels done and work around them as they're the least likely to take damage from an errant figure.

Step one, of course, is a little clean up on her upper decks. She also needs hatches. Badly.

Yikes! Those PE parts are small! I think I'll leave 1/48th behind and move to 1/32nd.

Here's an "in progress" pic of the Maxim Machine Gun....about an hour into basic construction.

IMG_2078.jpg

Edited by Dick Montgomery

Not much done today but I'm trying to, at least, get something done each day. Today the focus of attention was the transporter frame. I was intending to assemble the frame in its "stowed and ready to move" option, but I destroyed the parts needed as I removed them from the sprue. So we went with the "deployed and operational" option. Anyway...the frame is taking shape and tomorrow will see more assembly, including the gunner's seat and wheels.....

So here's the pic showing the frame and the machine gun.....another 60 minutes well spent.

Buildingthetransporternframe.jpg

Guest PetrolGator

Well, spent the day working on the funnels. They're still not done. Still, she's STARTING to look like the Tiger. This is anything but an easy build, but I'm learning to REALLY test and push my patience ahead a little more.

Tomorrow, I'll do a little work on her but will be focusing on getting the Scharnhorst off my deck so I can MAYBE do an FW-190.

8827D7DF-21BE-4011-B368-7A0969FE77FC_zpsFunnels are drunk, but that will be remedied with a wee bit more sanding and careful placement. Note that I replaced the forward mast with steel because steel is awesome. That stumpy little mast is making her almost look like herself.

Had an hour of free time today between dealing with a faulty dryer and other real-world daily issues. Anyway...the two subassemblies are now completed and I can mount the machine gun on the transporter/tripod frame shortly. I want to give those delicate tripod legs a chance to set up before handling the parts....this thing is delicate.

Here's the pic of the day:

subassembliesdone.jpg

Another 30 or so minutes and the construction phase is over....all that is left is some painting..

Img_2083.jpg

Guest PetrolGator

Nice, Dick.

Did the rest of ya give up? Let's see some builds!

Tiger's forward superstructure is largely complete. I have to install some searchlights, but that's it. There's still some clean up up by the pilot house on the linoleum, but that's it. Railing has been canvas covered with Elmer's which came out awesome.

I'm still debating how I'm going to display her. I'm leaning toward a leisurely cruise with one of her canvas coverings up and the crew on deck, relaxing. Note that I've continued dry brushing the hull and blending the hull to tone down weathering.

1890FC35-EA70-4E3E-9FC5-808760720EE1_zps

5B0B46E9-0723-40F2-9DA5-7AF1137FBEE5_zps

724F2B60-10A5-48CC-AE0E-9E162F6C44CA_zps

FC431755-2FB5-4BB5-AE92-85A0424F99A5_zps

I've gone from horror to really enjoying this build. The Artist Hobby set is SERIOUSLY challenging and expanding my PE skills. I also just love WWI battlecruisers.

Comments welcome. Pictures show that I still have some gaps on the superstructure and other small issues. I also wish I could get into the funnels easily... PE on top of the citadel also bothers me. I'll have to seal that seam line a little better.

Did the rest of ya give up? Let's see some builds!

I haven't. I've just been working a large job repairing a patio cover and painting a house. Been too tired to do anything when I got home. Now that the job is over; I'll start loading these and other Forums with pics of my work; at least until the next job starts up.

Great job on that ship. She's looking beautiful! I agree with you, she has got to be one of the most beautiful warships the British ever built.