What happens if you give a car guy and aircraft model?

PeteJ

• 1 month later...

So, I made what I consider major progress. After three tries at the cowl flaps I finally got a set that I felt justified the effort. I decided to display this model a bit differently than the instruction call for. (So what else is new?) I want this to be a cutaway style display. The cowling is a typical clam shell style with a top and bottom half. To do what I wanted I first soldered the two halves together. Then I got out the jewelers saw and cut them in half vertically. This way I could mount one side. The first photo shows the right half painted and mounted with the replacement cowl flaps that I made. The other half is the polished metal piece. I have also taped the original cowl flaps in place to show how they looked.

originalparts_zpsc08e0bc2.jpg

This shot shows the left half exposed. I decided to leave the cowl flaps in their original polished brass finish to highlight the work. They have a coat of clear lacquer over them to prevent tarnishing.

vericalengine_zps7ae9ee75.jpg

The rest of these are just beauty shots.

Blackcowl_zps275a16d3.jpg

rearquarter_zpsa6392dc5.jpg

frontquarter_zpsf6b91852.jpg

Edited by PeteJ

Pete - In the photo's above where you are soldering the Cowl Flaps are you using your resistance Soldering equipment for that or some other type [standard, silver or butane torch]? This project looks like it is coming along very well, I look forward to seeing it when it is done. Also how did you attach them to the Engine Cage?

Edited by Greyhound

Pete - yes I will be at the San Diego Model Car Club meeting tonight, starting at 6:30pm, located at the San Diego Automotive Museum in Balboa Park, next door to the SD Air & Space Museum. These meeting are held the 3rd Tuesday of every month. Thought I would throw in a little advertising for the Club! Dan

• 1 month later...

Ok, more progress. This thing is really crazy. 22 photo etched pieces comprise the cockpit area of the fuselage and another 20 or so pieces of white metal.

Some of the white metal parts. This thing is going to be heavy!

cockpitwhitemetal_zps99cb72fb.jpg

This is really a PE tour de force. This is the fire wall to just behind the cockpit. Some of the parts are soldered and other are super glued and some have epoxy. A real challenge to decide what gets what. Also the aft part has a taper that they don't tell you about in the instructions. This means that you have to reverse the order of the instructions to get everything to fit. The nice part about photo etched, is that if you mess it up you can soak the parts in acetone to clean them.

PEfuselage4_zps65994389.jpg

Close up of the tapered part. The instructions tell you to put the pieces in back to front. Each part is slightly narrower than the one before it. To make it work, you do the piece nearest you(4 pieces soldered togeather) and work back from their.

PEfuselage1_zps88565720.jpg

Ok, so I decided I didn't like the piece of crap machinegun barrels that were apiece of rod with a metal sticker over the top to replicate the air cooling jacket. I turned a piece of 6065 aluminium to .055" then drilled out the center to .022" and drilled the cooling holes with a .017" drill.

This is the cooling holes being drilled.

machineguntest3web_zps20104def.jpg

Here is the finished piece.

machineguntest2web_zps49d43f91.jpg

This is the barrel which is .022" stainless steel tubing.

machineguntest1web_zps79668621.jpg

Edited by PeteJ
  • Like 1

This is a photo of the barrel mounted to the main gun. It is temporatrily press fit as I have not decided if I want to modify how it is mounted and I need to paint it.

machinegun2_zps7658336b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The cockpit is coming together. This is a real pain to get it together with epoxy and keep it clean. Thank heavens it is photo etched and white metal. I can clean up with acetone and a Qtip.

cockpit1_zps8db822ac.jpg

cockpit2_zps26f0ccf8.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

For those who have been following this thread, thank you. It has been a challenging build and I appreciate you following along. I decided to post the final photos on a separate thread.- Here is the link - http://forum.ipmsusa3.org/index.php?/topic/13257-finshed-car-guy-builds-an-airpalane-a6m2b/