1/700 Orange Hobby Graf Zeppelin

Guest PetrolGator

One benefit to having the hull glued to the wood at this stage is that you don't have to juggle the ship with your hands while you simultaneously try to super glue to affix some minor part, subassembly, or PE whatever. The board becomes the extra two hands that you need.

I admire your speedy recovery on the first solid water trial. The plaster water looks great even while still in white. One suggestion with the plaster mix for water is to mix your wet plaster with acrylic seawater color. Thus, you will have solid colored plaster base material for its entire thickness. When dry, you can still add different colors to the outer surface of the plaster for foam, green sea, etc., and your clear coats will just add to the illusion of depth.

Ed

Guest PetrolGator

HM... good idea, Ed. Thanks. I plan on painting it a solid color once the model gets her dullcoat. I'm going to use some progressively lighter colors, thinned, around disturbed areas of the ship. I'll then use some teased cotton/tissue to make the "foam" part of the waves. The eventual goal is a VERY angry sea.

Guest PetrolGator
Thanks, Adam. I love this boat, but man is it taking forever...

It looks the same, eh? No progress? That's how I feel.

Railing. So. Much. Railing. There's some temporary railing along the flight deck that I haven't done... not looking forward to that. I've also avoided a few ladders, the foremast, and finishing off the angled "mast" at the aft of the island...

...and figures, light AA guns (PE nightmare.....)

AIRCRAFT. :mad_2:

At least she'll have a good airwing. I'll just have less hair.

Anyway. Pictures. I've added all the railing that I can. I'm going to use Gatorglue to provide a seal along the base of the railings (seam elimination) and then touch up the PE to match the camouflage color that at point of the hull. It'll be gloriously tedious.

On the bright side, it's getting done.

7EA91B58-D3E6-493C-9CAC-65F56FF5458F_zps

1C2F2288-9B87-4CE6-96EA-A70EF0516B1C_zps

Can you see the little steps? Let's call them kitchen step stools, like Mom used to use. They're like that, only in 700 scale. I'm fairly certain Orange Hobby included them just to raise my blood pressure!

116EEE83-E64C-4F0A-845C-C5698EA67DB7_zps

Man, you are a true Master at this! I could never get my ships to look this good. I am really enjoying all the updates here. Keep plugging Chris, this is coming out better and better each time!

Guest PetrolGator
I was tired of looking at a white sea, so I threw a base coat on it. Obviously, the water is rather dull at this stage, but at least it has a base color. The color is a 2:1:1/4 of Black, midnight blue, and forest green. My goal is a dark, stormy North Atlantic sea. I'll start prepping the actual swell and turbulence this week. I also did some remedial paint work on the railings, which is hard to see.

Hopefully, she gets her full AA load today.

039FF2AB-807B-4C07-B914-A8C2D5CB8796_zps

FEC266BB-849A-4429-99CD-2F3932F90E87_zps

1E5D57F1-BE7E-4486-941C-FE9211CEA1E1_zps

FDE08CF0-5123-45B6-A670-01F02C7CFFE4_zps

The PE is really looking good! Very interested in the process to manufacture some waves.

Guest PetrolGator
I'm trying a bit of Jim Baumann's method. I've got three shades of "turbulence" that I'm adding, blending, adding. I've got most of the underwater bits done and will be adding teased cotton to simulate the air bubbles and foam. Once that's done, the water will be encased in resin. I'll add the bow wave and any other spray at that point.

I've also finished adding the masts, minus radar. The Zepp also has her forward AA platform and port/starboard radar stations. Railing is mostly painted and sealed with Gatorglue to hide seams.

Tomorrow: Add some crew/PE. I'll also start assembling all the tiny little AA guns.

2589044F-21DF-4C32-89B5-EFB7F40FF521_zps

74DC79C0-72DC-44D9-B70A-0C9788C50311_zps

Guest PetrolGator

I checked on the Zeppy on the way out to work this morning. The paint dried a little darker than I like, but building this in layers is a GOOD thing. There's less of a chance for a catastrophic mistake.

Guest PetrolGator
Experiment number... something. I've been talking with a lot of REALLY good builders like Chris (sargentx) on how to better work a water base. I've been trying to incorporate his excellent work into 700 scale with a little bit of my own flair thrown in for, well, some originality.

Here's what I did.

1) Painted base as shown. I started with faint lines along where major wakes would be seen off the ship. I then expanded it to the desired level of disturbance. Painting was done with thinned cheap acrylics and dry brushing. My goal is to provide a nice base for the cotton and upper layers.

321BEA8C-DC05-4EB5-9D57-9C1F54FA8653_zps

2) Teased out cotton, adhering it to the base with gel medium.

I started by tracing where I wanted retreating wakes to be located.

97E5D030-B03E-4068-BFDC-18AF32A4A975_zps

This was followed by filling in the area with cotton.

1B13FD6B-5C3E-4DF2-A4F2-14838603A901_zps

73C32EE3-D1C3-49D5-A09D-AD1D5A9D310D_zps

This is a slow process, but worth it.

3) (Current stage) I painted down a layer of gloss varnish to seal the layer into the base. I am still planning on doing a layer of resin for depth, but this gives an idea of what it will look like.

0AF6BC30-BAAE-46F0-9465-6404243820A4_zps

8A78F8A8-BAE8-44C7-9A95-73681EA30541_zps

Once I seal in the base, I'll build some "foam" out with Chris's method of gloss gel medium + cotton. I'll also use some of Jim's technique with tissue to keep it in scale.

The model itself needs a LOT of work. Some of the railing was damaged and I still have searchlights, AA guns, crew, and planes to place. There's also some additional detail and painting I want to do to clean it up.

That's all for now. Tomorrow is going to be a rainy mess so I'll be working on this quite a bit.

Guest PetrolGator
Thanks Rick!

HUGE update, though it doesn't look like it. All the ships AA (minus two guns I forgot to make) have been added. Searchlights are on, and most of the construction is FINISHED (minus air group.)

I'll be adding her crane once I get the deck railing in place. If I have time tonight, I'll begin THAT job.

Biggest task left: Air wing. Once they're done, I'll clean her up a bit, rig her island, add some small details and dull coat the boat. The water will then be coated in resin. The final act will be finished off the bow wave.

351C4B76-BBD9-49AA-91A1-F3806A0B0DF8_zps

EFCF495A-B83A-4AB5-B4E3-7932C0BD14D7_zps

Guest PetrolGator
Last update. I installed this TINY little ladder to the AA gun platform and... tore some stuff up. I'm going to have to do some serious touch up painting. Still, glad I installed it.

10E5C855-BB05-4522-812C-50B8E3662426_zps

Here's the air wing. I'm seriously considering getting ONE more package of DKM naval aircraft. It'll look cool.

723A678A-B8DE-4238-A856-0FC3F3B493BF_zps

Guest PetrolGator
I've installed the railing that would have been in place when she was not conducting flight ops. I also added some Caenis thread where she would have had her arresting system.

B237038C-C93E-4201-ABED-6B6993A6CFA5_zps

The island her her full load out of radar. I'm only missing the rigging (scary) and figures.

910A1F65-56B1-45AB-8C4D-A85FA497FC80_zps

Bow view... just because.

FC01656C-3881-4D2F-A64A-AC86CCE8F0F5_zps

I honestly cannot wait to finish this build She's gonna be nice once I touch up any remaining brass and finish off the stormy sea. Her air wing will add more color.

Opinions welcome.

Guest PetrolGator
Thanks, Mark.

I'm building aircraft which consist of a ton of PE and resin parts. I'm also adding crew here and there.

02AE52D5-7077-402F-833D-8DF3DA9F8DD3_zps

This Bf-109T will be on a carriage for launch, hence no landing gear.

CB0DF923-7229-43D9-A55F-9EE366263B16_zps

42611569-9D3A-4626-9CEA-A4F56DACEB0B_zps

52792AF6-13BC-4C7E-8F4A-2B7274BD73B4_zps

All for now. I'm heading to the in-laws so I'll resume work next Wednesday.

• Like 1

Guest PetrolGator

Oh boy. Long story. Planes were loaded on a cradle in the hanger, then brought up on the middle elevator. They were moved along tracks to one of the catapults at the bow. The plane would be launched, much like on a cruiser or battleship. The cradle was loaded on the platforms at the bow, which are elevators. These would take the cradles to under deck conveyers, returning them to the hanger for reuse.

Wow. The Germans came up with alot of good ideas.

Didn't the Japanese help them with this thing, or is that an urban myth? Or maybe the Germans just didn't listen.

Guest PetrolGator

Wow. The Germans came up with alot of good ideas.

Didn't the Japanese help them with this thing, or is that an urban myth? Or maybe the Germans just didn't listen.

German engineers did tour Akagi when she was in her three deck configuration, but I'm unsure of cooperation beyond that. Keep in mind that tours were also done on the USS Lexington, so this wasn't unusual.

The Zeppelin's design was based off of first generation carriers which were capable of fending off destroyers and small cruisers on their own with many being based on former capital ships. Keep in mind, a CV was ORIGINALLY intended as a scouting unit that preceded the battlefleet. Arming a carrier to engage surface units was, of course, fairly silly. If your carrier's deck is holed by a number of shells, well, it ceases to really be anything other than a large well armed freighter. I've been reading further on the Zeppy's "unique" launch system, and it COULD be efficient, barring damage to its conveyor system.

My biggest issue with her design comes from the armament arrangement. Casemate guns were unwieldy, heavy, and useless on most ships, let alone carriers. IF I were to build a "what if" refitted Graf Zeppelin, I'd remove them in favor of a much upgraded AA suite, additional aircraft, and a less complicated launching system. She could also use a little taller of an island.

Oh, and work will resume on this beastie tonight. I've been at the in laws and am itching to get back to work!