IPMS UK 50th Anniversary Show

Hi guys!

The IPMS UK's 50th Anniversary Show, Scale Modelworld, at Telford U.K. is almost upon us on the weekend of the 9th and 10th of November 2013.

There will be a warm welcome to any members of IPMS USA making the trip 'over the pond' to be with us.

Likewise, next year being the 50th Anniversary of IPMS USA, will no doubt attract many visitors from the UK and Europe who will no doubt be welcomed with customary American hospitality!

Noel,

I know there are at least 30 some odd of us on your tour and I know of several others who are going it alone. We should be well represented. Cheers, mate.

Thanks for the feedback Ron.

I see that you come from Columbus.

Do you know a friend of mine named John Tilley who is now a Professor?

He is an expert on sailing ships and I believe that lectures at Ohio State University.

Back in the 80's when he was doing his dissertation for his Phd, he spant some time here in the UK.

I had the pleasure of taking him to see HMS Victory at Portsmouth, and he came to our Nationals and acted as a judge in the Sailing Ships class.

IT'S OVER NOW !!

We were looking forward to it all year and seemingly in the blink of an eye it's been and gone.

SMW at Telford was a brilliant show. Got talking to a few Americans who made the trip over, who were very impressed and thoroughly enjoyed themselves. I said to one visitor that due to the size of the states, I understood why the IPMS UK Nats have to move around. I was most surprised when he said that it would be better at one permanent venue each year so it could develop into something as big as SMW.

I enjoy the fact that the convention moves around. There are some serious repercussions that would set in if that were not so and those are generated not by some political issue but by a geographical fact. While the UK can manage with a permanent location the US is just too big. In fact, I'd hate to see even a set of cities, say East/Central/West becoming the permanent home(s) of US conventions.

These arguments don't apply in an area as small as the UK. In fact, all of the UK fits within the borders of Texas. And ask any Alaskan...they will tell you that Texas isn't that big. (Go to http://www.sarmonster.net/UK.htm to play with a click and pull map comparison of the UK and the USA). And a permanent site does not equal a larger convention. The equation does not feature an ( = ) sign.

I was particularly impressed with the friendliness of the folks manning the SIG tables. I think any convention, be it national or regional would do well by developing the idea of tables that could be occupied by chapters or by SIGS. I also enjoyed the demonstrations by a guest presenter at the Deluxe Materials booth and wish that more vendors had the plans to "present' some to the visitors.

I didn't get into the "competition" room. The thousands of models on display on the SIG tables was more than satisfactory and thoroughly enjoyable.

Fun, interesting, well stocked, and friendly...those are words that come to mind when I think of the Telford show.