1/350 USN Attack Transport - Away All Boats

Thanks, Ron.

No the Revell kit was 1/376.

In real life they are two different class of ship, but really somewhat similar in size, etc. The Randall was a Haskell-class APA based on the Victory ship. The Seminole was a Toland-class AKA, based on the C2 cargo. The APAs were really for troop-landing transport while the AKAs were more for cargo, and are sometimes called Attack Cargo not Attack Transport.

I guess either would do - I just want something with all the cranes & boats & stuff ....

I guess I would settle for a good 1/700 kit ....

Hi, John,

The USS Randall was in the Revell line from 1956-1959, about the length of time it took to forget the movie. In 1960, Revell changed the name to the USS Montrose and reissued that kit any number of times. Revell reissued the Randall in 1994 with the original box art, but the instruction sheet has a 1966 copyright (I have this reissue in my stash and looked in the box). The plastic is very dark gray.

I hope this will aid you in your search.

Ed

for the Haskell class Attack Transport, Revell boxed their 1/376 offering as USS Randall APA-224 and USS Montrose APA-212 . Same plastic.

Renwal produced that class in 1/500 as USS Sarasota APA-204. Same ship, just different scale.

As same-scale companion to Sarasota, they also produced USS Seminole AKA-104. Where the APA had lots of small LCVP craft to get the grunts to te beach, the AKA had much heavier masts and bigger LCM boats instead of the LCVPS, to get trucks, tanks and equipment to the beach.

Revell also produced USS Burleigh APA-95, which was a Bayfield class ship instead of the Haskell class ship in the book/movie.

In 1/700 scale, Loose Cannon Productions has a Haskell class in resin.

I don't mind the Revell Montrose kit too much. A few years ago, I made one as USS Navarro as modified in during the Viet Nam era to present to a friend who had been a crewman on Navarro. I put a bunch of work into it, particularyly the boats to get a good represntative look. IMG_1190a.jpg

IMG_1193a.jpg

Edited by RickH

John,

On my Revell kit, I used Gold Medal Models' 1/400 Warship PE set (found that 1/400 looked better on the kit than 1/350) and L'Arsenal 1/350 40mm guns. Didn't need any 20mms for my 1965 variant. The L'Arsenal guns also came with some small PE hanwheels which I used for steering wheels in the LCVPs.

I've got several 1/350th scale tank sets that were made for shipboard usage. I'd like to find something larger that that scale but still small enough to be a manageable ship kit.

Yes, I've done that also .... I have a bunch of GMM PE around. Good idea on the handwheels !!

John,

On my Revell kit, I used Gold Medal Models' 1/400 Warship PE set (found that 1/400 looked better on the kit than 1/350) and L'Arsenal 1/350 40mm guns. Didn't need any 20mms for my 1965 variant. The L'Arsenal guns also came with some small PE hanwheels which I used for steering wheels in the LCVPs.