The Geisha

Kjundude1

Hi, James,

I had the misfortune to post my Lady of the Lake figure on the very same day you posted the Geisha. Compared to your painting skills, I am third-rate at best. I have not had good success painting with Vallejo on large areas (such as red on the surface of the kimono). My Vallejo paint dries too quickly and does show brush strikes. What brush do you use to paint the ultra-fine lines and small white dots, a 20-0 or 30-0? Those brush tips are so fine that the paint will be half dry by the time it gets from your paint container to the surface of the model.

I have three more figures in the works, and I can only hope the finished results will be half as nice as yours are here. You have my respect, sir! :o

Ed

Hello Ed,

I like the "Lady of the Lake."

Vallejos --- If you are getting brush marks, the paint needs to thinned more. For base coating I use W&N Series 7 No. 1 or No. 2. For detail I mostly use W&N Series 7 No. 0, but will go down to 00 on the finest of detail. As you said, if brush is too small it will not hold enough paint and it will dry to quickly. The key is to have a brush with a great point.

Ed, thanks for the kind words. If I can answer any questions for you, please don't hesitate to send an Email. ( I was in IL. for the Chicago show MMSI last weekend.)

Thanks,

Chris Fontenot